I am OBSESSED with this goldfish... what type is it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I just picked up a few Sarasa Comets this weekend and one had a long beautiful tail. They were all the same price. Just keep checking your local store and you'll probably find one.

Reaction score
skulkingghost said:
@ CW. No problem. I will drop you a pm towards the end of the summer. Thank you!
Just let me know how many you would like (in the near future), so I know how many to collect. When they are newly hatched/free swimming (around 1/4" in size), they are easy to catch, as they hang out at the edges of the pond. I'll bring some inside to watch in a fish tank ... anything that wont be long finned and orange-red, I wont keep inside this year. If they stay in pond, once they hit an inch or two in size, they are near impossible to catch. Towards the end of summer, they will only be 2-3" in size, and may have some black on them still, but it WILL go away.

I attached two pictures that I just took ... one is really blurry, but shows the color transformation (late Oct spawn). He/she is the last one I have inside changing over to reddish from blackish ... the other was spawned last May/June and totally orange-red now.

Attachments

• DSCN6250.JPG
    DSCN6250.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN6240.JPG
    DSCN6240.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 237

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
No personal experiance but I have been keeping an eye out for info on shipping fish in that there is no place to get good ones here.

From what I have read small fish stand up to shipping better. Also they have breathable bags. I am not sure what the correct or trade name is. You load them with fish water and no air. Then pack in a box with air spaces around the bag. A fish in that sort of setup should not run out of air. Fast it for a few days prior to shipping to keep it from fouling the water

Reaction score
Ive bought several fish via ebay, and never an issue with next day shipping, but see several sellers on ebay doing priority mail, with really good feedback. I swear every ebay purchase, the bags have been way over crowded (combined shipping has meant ONE box, lesson learned), but the bags are about 25% water, the rest air. The smallest fish I have gotten were 1" (the auctions in the bag varied 1-4" - 113 total fish in the bag) and as for the biggest, a couple in the 12-14" range with smaller fish mixed in (I think there were a total of 7 fish with the two bigger ones). Ive had a couple have a rough trip (not helped by UPS worker walking to my door TOSSING the box in the air - he damn near got punched) ... and just gave them a quiet few days in QT (not fed, lights off except for what came in the basement windows) and they were fine. I think 2 days in shipping would work out well, but I am nervous of them going 3 days. I was also thinking by shipping them small, I can put a couple extras into the bag "just in case". Comets breed like rabbits, so nothing to throw a couple extras in.

Ask a Question