I am OBSESSED with this goldfish... what type is it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I see this orange guy up top with the long, long tail, swimming around a garden center by my house. He is NOT for sale sadly. I have offered to buy him multiple times. The workers and fishkeeper (they sell koi there) have no idea where he is from, or what type of fish he is. Please help me. I need to find one, he is simply incredible to watch swim around.

l8sMVri.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have ones with tails like that and they just called them fancy tails

Reaction score
He's just a long finned comet. I used to have 8 of these, but something got most of them over the winter ... Thankfully I grew out some babies inside, so have a few more:) I havent seen any of this variety available locally for a couple of years. Full grown, they are only a $10-15 fish when available, so dont do anything crazy with offers to buy this one (as pretty as it is) ... They'll make the rounds again, just keep watching. The outside fish just spawned again, so I may have more ... if you want a few later this summer (once they have grown some), you are close enough that I could send you a few (just pay postage).

Reaction score
Not good pictures (colors are off) but you can see some of ours ...

There's also a "blackish" variety ... out of the water, it is a dark brown, with gold (as in 14K) belly, and gold edging on its fins ...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As capewind said, it's just a long fin Comet. Not rare at all. when looking for small ones look for good long even fins, the deepest red of the bunch with the markings that catch your eyes. Quite often you can find some similar mixed in with Sarasa comets, Which means red and white. Although there is very little white on that particular fish it still has it and it's really nice so it would probably make a cut into a tank of sarasa's as well. Good luck!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CW, am I close enough? Sadly, I guess not :(

I agree, it's beautiful! When I shop, I look for long fins. Have a few, but none that pretty. I'm looking at Watonai, which is like a fan tail (sorta) but the tail is angled down so as to look nice when viewed from above.

Reaction score
PA is close enough I think I can get away with a large Flat Rate Priority box ... not sure we could do that all the way to you. Paying for next day mail might get pricey.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They ship fish from Hawaii, bet they would make it just fine.

Reaction score
But dont they use next day shipping? Ive gotten fish next day without an issue, but do you think they can handle the possibility of 3 days with priority?

I cant do anything for the exact fish shown right now ... I still have a bunch of the short finned version (same fish, same red/orange with white edging), and a few of the long finned blackish ones (think they are big enough that they'll not likely turn red/orange) ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It depends on how far you are, some of my priority mailings get there in just a two days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
CW I will definitely take you up on that offer, let me know towards the end of the summer if you have a few. Your fish are BEATUIFUL. I guess I just have a thing for the long tails. I have a few smaller fantails in my pond. I'll post pics soon. I am a bit overstocked, but I have a 100 gallon skippy filter filtering my 300 gallon preform so water quality has been great so far. Planning out a 3200 gallon now to build in the next few months. I wanted to build a nice 16 x 22 x 4-5ft depth 10k gallon but the wife talked me down a bit... Dream big :)

Reaction score
I have some beautiful long tail comets and sarassa in my pond, they were all hand picked from the .13 feeder tanks on delivery day at Petsmart.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I had a friend who had a pet shop for many years. He'd let me pick my own from the feeders when they came in. Many beautiful fish came out of those shipments!
John

Reaction score
skulkingghost said:
CW I will definitely take you up on that offer, let me know towards the end of the summer if you have a few. Your fish are BEATUIFUL. I guess I just have a thing for the long tails. I have a few smaller fantails in my pond. I'll post pics soon. I am a bit overstocked, but I have a 100 gallon skippy filter filtering my 300 gallon preform so water quality has been great so far. Planning out a 3200 gallon now to build in the next few months. I wanted to build a nice 16 x 22 x 4-5ft depth 10k gallon but the wife talked me down a bit... Dream big :)
I'd be happy to save a few for you:) I'll never remember the "who" (this is a busy time of year for us), but drop me a note in a couple of months. How many would you like? I can tell when they are an inch or so which have the long fins, but need to wait til they are 2-3" to know which will be reds, verses the blackish ones. They take awhile to grow (the ones wintered inside from last summer are 4-6" now) but should grow to be about 8-9" (the adults are about 4-5 yrs old) so you'll want the new pond in, if you are already overstocked.

Nothing wrong with dreaming big, BTW ... we stopped by our suppliers this afternoon (looking for something else) ... hubby needs a 20 x 20 liner for a client ... going back tomorrow to get it, and a 20 x 25 for our next pond:)

Ask a Question