I can see clearly now.... the algae's gone...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are coming to see you soon, tbendl, quit resisting!

Reaction score
hhmmm, when I was sick of pumping rain water out of my pond I left 2' set dormant and a film of green starting to cover my rocks, thats when I added some plants, an air stone, 12 minnows and a drop in fountain that was set up to look like a water umbrella. Then the green went away, I don't know exactly what did it. Minnows eating? Circulating water? I didn't have my mechanical filter or skimmer set up yet. I don't have the heat you have and my pond only gets 6 hours of direct sun starting at 11 a.m.

Oh I also put the batting then poly stuffing stuff for pillows in a mesh bag and let it run under my waterfall once my system was hooked up. That caught tons of dirt from my construction. I also put some in my skimmer net but I know you don't have one of those.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ironically on Sunday my neighbor had a friend over who has 3 goldfish he needs to find a home for. I guess they are about 3" long. I don't think they will live if I throw them into the pond. Of course I'm not sure they'll live if I don't. :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ironically on Sunday my neighbor had a friend over who has 3 goldfish he needs to find a home for. I guess they are about 3" long. I don't think they will live if I throw them into the pond. Of course I'm not sure they'll live if I don't. :(

I don't know the situation with them but they probably have a better chance in your pond than you think :)

Reaction score
Goldfish are in the carp family and carp in Michigan love the river bottoms, mucky! Your bog should do just fine for a filter, no worries. My 1 goldfish forages for food 99% of the time. I love it when he noses around in the silt areas because it stirs up and sends it to the skimmer!!!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm gonna end up a fish owner aren't I... I just really really don't want to put any more filters in the pond and am terrified if A) they die. (Although the hubby said he would take care of funeral services if that happens) and B) I end up with way more than 3 fish and can't find a home for them...

Reaction score
I'm gonna end up a fish owner aren't I... I just really really don't want to put any more filters in the pond and am terrified if A) they die. (Although the hubby said he would take care of funeral services if that happens) and B) I end up with way more than 3 fish and can't find a home for them...
You already have the filter, at least that is the only filter that some people here use. Do it for your husbands sake and ours!! o.k... you can stick to your guns, it is your emotions that have to deal with it. But I still say your pond is the best life most of those fish will ever have.

Reaction score
You already have the filter, at least that is the only filter that some people here use. Do it for your husbands sake and ours!! o.k... you can stick to your guns, it is your emotions that have to deal with it. But I still say your pond is the best life most of those fish will ever have.
Sorry to keep post bombing here. When I put my goldfish in the pond from his 40 gallon tank he swam around non stop and still will swim at fast as he can from one side to another. Now that is their natural habitat not a 40 gallon tank.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's why I don't have them in tanks either!! If it comes down to it, I'll save the 3 goldfish. I really wish I could get them neutered and spayed though. I mean geez, I did it to my dog, cat, hubby, and myself it only seems fair the fishy's do it too, right?? LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
T you also have to watch out for Heron or other predators coming to your pond. They see your bright colored fish and zoom down and will try to eat them all in one day. Then you need a net or something to TRY and keep them out. It can be a battle, just warning you to be prepared. I have a high net after trying everything else under the sun.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was kinda thinking I wouldn't need one since I don't really have a good spot for them to land. Unless I build the island. Is that wrong? I don't have sloped sides or ledges for them to hang out on.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They fly onto your grass and then walk over to the pond and since their necks are so long they can reach down and grab the fish when they come to the surface. They don't need to walk into the pond water to get fish. They stand still as a statue along the edge and have the patience of Job and then an unsuspecting fish will surface and blam they make the grab! Believe me they are very talented at hunting fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I hate to discourage you but need you to know what you might expect. I know you would be devastated to lose your fish like that. Some build a trellis, roof like thing over their ponds so birds can't see down at the fish when flying by. Some like Colleen here use lines strung over the pond w/ dangly things hanging down. I tried a loud radio, windchimes, short fence and some use those scarecrow auto water shooters but I just use my net and it works for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laticiagibson

Latest Threads