I have bees living on the edge of my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We finally got a few dragon/damsel flies this year. it was pretty exciting because there isn't much water around us for them to come from except for flooded basements!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first year my pond had water in it, we did not have many dragon flies, this year they are everywhere, really like to watch them.

My poor lil pup got wasp stung yesterday, she suddenly ran for the house, I could see the wasp chasing her. I am going to have to look along the fence where she was walking to make sure there is no nest.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ahhhhh, poor little pup. Can't have them nesting where you walk. Lucky it was just one sting. Those suckers will mob you if you get too close to their nest. Be careful addy!

I want more dragonflies, they are so pretty and I love all the variations of colors. Neat to see them zig zag up, down and around trying to catch bugs. But my cats see them and try to catch them. Haven't seen them catch one yet tho. Guess they are too fast for them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well found the nest, it is in the ground, right where we walk and I mow. So we are going to do a spray attack. But just now see a large number of either honey bees or yellow jackets heading under our deck. We put up some insulation and wood for the sun room floor. They have made a nest in there. If honey bees I will try and find a bee keeper to come for them, if wasps they have to go bye bye, right by our path to the new deck.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bummer addy and you can't let them take the place over cuz they will get ya sooner or later. Why can't they learn to build their nests in trees or something further away from our homes?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those suckers fly fast heading into their nest, finally saw some well enough to know they are yellow jackets. One ground nest, where I mow, One under the sun room nest. So hat, gloves, etc and out to bomb them once it is light enough. Last sting I had, left me sore and bruised for over two months.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Be very careful addy, you don't want a bunch of stings right when you are getting ready to travel! Wonder if it would be best to do it at night when they aren't active? Well prolly too late for that now!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be very careful addy, you don't want a bunch of stings right when you are getting ready to travel! Wonder if it would be best to do it at night when they aren't active? Well prolly too late for that now!
I sprayed at dawn jw, so far have not been stung, but boy did they start swarming. Took my yorkie for a walk, I think she got stung again, we were far from the nests, somewhere else, limping crying, won't let me near her, she is hiding under the bed (old waterbed frame) she gets in behind the drawers, her safe spot. I am keeping an eye on her.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh no addy poor little thing. She doesn't even know what happened, hope she doesn't blame you? That's a cute pic of her under your siggy.
This is for her:

FeelBetterSoon1.gif

Yorkiepup-1.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks jw, I am more than concerned right now, may be heading for the vet soon.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh hope she is going to be alright. Maybe she was stung more than once. Prayers for little Missy..........is that her name?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
things are better jw, thanks, called the vet, he said get her out where I could see her, which I had already done, poor little thing.
And give her baby benadryl, 5ml, 1 ml per pound. It calms her and helps with any reaction she is having.
She is doing lots better, not crying all the time. So many thanks for the thoughts, it is hard to explain the connection we have to our animals, dogs, horses, cats, fish...........to people that have none.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh so glad to hear your little best friend is doing better. Guess you have to keep that baby benadryl on hand in case it happens now and then which I hope it doesn't. Hugs to you and little Missy...........I hope this is her name cuz I keep calling her this :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
are they really LIVING there or just drinking? Most come to drink.. and then are on their way.
living there, I have them drinking all of the time from the pond and stream and drinking from the fallen apples, these guys are swarming in and out of our insulation under our sun room. The others are in a hole in the ground along the fence in our back yard. If they where they would not sting me, they are welcome to stay. The one nest is 1 foot off our path to the deck right above the bog garden. They buzzed me as I took pictures of the sun dew yesterday morning. Think they just moved in, per sites, they move in the fall, old nest dies, they set up house for the winter.

Ask a Question