I have bees living on the edge of my pond

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We get one or two yellowjacket nests here every year, sometimes a lot more. 90% of them are cleaned out by skunks overnight. They do a great job, leave nothing but a hole in the ground! John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get one or two yellowjacket nests here every year, sometimes a lot more. 90% of them are cleaned out by skunks overnight. They do a great job, leave nothing but a hole in the ground! John

One thing I have not seen here are skunks. They are welcome to them, but the one under the sun room between the wood and insulation I think I will need to spray.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never see any skunks around here but I know they exist cuz I can smell them on the roads at times. Hope my cats never come across them cuz I'm not in favor of giving a cat a tomato bath!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never see any skunks around here but I know they exist cuz I can smell them on the roads at times. Hope my cats never come across them cuz I'm not in favor of giving a cat a tomato bath!

I have used something called simple solution (sold in pets stores to remove accidents lol) it is an enzyme, gets rid of the stink really well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not buying it addy cuz it's not going to happen.........no, no, no not preparing for that, will runaway and leave hubby to do that job, lol!
Pulling porcupine quills out of our dogs snout was bad enough, can't imagine what a skunk would be like to deal with.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
stinkynose.gif

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5, Denver CO, -10 to -15
Country
United States
I did a lot of research on this topic a few years ago. My pond is above-ground made from railroad timbers. For several years, when it got really hot out, I would see yellow jackets (didn't know that's what they were then) around and they would single me out and attack. One bit swelled up my entire leg, I must be extra-sensitive. I couldn't go out in my yard for awhile I was so afraid. Yellow Jackets are bright yellow and black striped and they do not have dangling legs like other wasps. Also, the yellow jacket has a smoother sleek body than a honeybee. Honey bees do not have the distinctive yellow/black stripes, they are more fuzzy and the yellow is more orange. Larger "bumble" bees are also fuzzier. The yellow jackets seek and attack. Honeybees and european wasps (or maybe they are called hornets?) do not sting unless extremely provoked.

Here's a good article: http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/whatis.htm

This is 100% based on my experience of dealing with these in the yard. Anyway, the yellow jackets build a paper nest, like a wasp nest, but they hide it, they LOVE to build in railroad ties, they also build them in the ground. They live where they can find water and food. I hear they love garbage but I think the pond water and the hiding place for the nest is what brings them to ponds in your yard.

I have hornet type wasps that build nest in the open, on wood like inside our wood shed. They NEVER EVER bother me. They just go about their business. I have a lot of honeybees, too. They never bother me, even if I brush up against a flower they are on. But yellow jackets? I would dynamite them. They are just so aggressive.

I agree with some of the other posters, they go dormant at night so are "sleepy" in the early morning/evening. The way I used to take care of them was to go out in the early morning and wear head to toe long sleeves, closed toe shoes, long pants, gloves, hat. Cover your body as best you can. Use the can of spray that sprays 25 feet. Since it's near the pond, if you do it in early morning and cover yourself, you can use a spray that allows you to get closer. They will come flying out but will be disoriented. I haven't been bit doing that but I did have a boyfriend years ago who thought he would do it in mid-day and he got bit.

Also, I keep one of those yellow jacket traps. They really work well and they don't attract honeybees. It's just a yellow plastic container and you buy the pheromone that attracts them (do NOT get this on you though) and put it on some cotton in the container. They fly in and can't get out and die.

One good thing I noticed. They will never make a new nest in an old area where you sprayed them. I haven't had a next in my yard for a good 6 years or so. Not sure why but thanking my lucky stars.

Here's another ID page: http://www.bees-online.com/BeeWaspID.htm

Sorry about your pup being stung. Hope all is well there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She recovered right before we left town, two stings in two days was just too much for her little size. Thanks for asking. I was worried. She never sleeps all day without moving.

I let anything live that comes around except those yellow jackets. I did spray the one nest under our sun room, it must have been a new start, one squirt and they moved on. The ground nest, not sure, I have not been over to check if they are gone.

Ask a Question