I just cant wait!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well it's actually the second year for the pond, but all of the landscaping was done this year. It was nothing more than a hole with water, a few fish, and a 5 gallon bucket for a filter last year.

Oh... the supervisor was my daughter Dharma, so she'll have a year of expirience, LOL..

My son is 5, and he's really into the why and how stage, he wants to know how everything works in the pond, why the fish do what they do... You can only answer so many questions until you are just like "JUST WATCH THE FISH!!!, I CAN'T EXPLAIN WHY HE HAS POOP HANGING OUTTA HIS BUTT, HE JUST DOES" LOL.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your hard work paid off and all is looking really nice 99. I like that idea you thought of putting concrete in the holes.........quite clever!
You will be surprised when looking at your pix from today of the plants and when you take pix next summer and compare them. They will grow like mad! Cute little supervisor you have there to keep you in line, lol! Watch out for that Ivy plant.........that is the only one I might be concerned about as they can take over depending on the variety.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I dont know jack about plants, lol. but I did know that ivy spread like crazy, so I tried to put them furthest from the pond, hopefully they spread under and around the swing, and I can keep it away from the actual pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just be careful on the type of ivy you put in, if it is english ivy you will have to keep in check as it will go everywhere. At my parents house we used to take run the lawn mower over it every year to keep it under control and then we still had to pull it up to keep it from growing up and over the fence and onto trees.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep that's the key word..........."HOPEFULLY" cuz once you have ivy you pretty much always have ivy. It is a very pretty plant but just loves to be the ruler of the world, lol! Let's see who wins, you or the ivy?

tmann just popped up and posted while I was typing about English Ivy and he is sooooooooooo correct, if it is English you might want to think twice about letting it live w/ you and return it for a trade. No kidding here!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
LOL.. I'll have to check it out when I get home, I don't even remember what it was. I just knew that they were all marked as "ground cover plants" and I have some ground to cover, so I grabbed them.

I also grabbed this crazy little white bush, It reminded me of a bonsai tree or something, then I get home, plant it right next to the pond, and look it up AFTER i put in in the ground and realize that it's going to be a giant bush.. a wormwood was what it was called, so i guess i'll be moving that. It also says that it is a good weed control plant because it's roots secrete a substance that stops other plants from growing around it, OOPS, guess i better move it FAR away from the other plants.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just looked at your photos of your plants you picked up and the ivy is english ivy it is the stuff in the bottom right hand corner of the pic, and it looks like you also have some sedum, it is in the black tray with the handle. I would definitely think twice about the english ivy, it does look nice but man that stuff is invasive and once you have it you will have for life. We planted some in our house 8 years ago pulled it all out 3 years later and we are still finding it, can't kill it. Reminds me of this stuff that you see in NC called Kudzu, that stuff grows over entire hill sides.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Dang. might have to pull that stuff out then... and toss it into the burn barrel before it decided to grow.

Your pond is looking great..but it will never be done lol..I am always working on mine and thinking I need to go bigger lol

But I am definately done with the pond for quite some time, I'm not allowed to take up any more of the backyard until kids are out of the house and dont need the backyard to play anymore. LOL

It's time to obsess on something else for a while... like the fact that I've been talking about buying a motorcycle for the past three years and have yet to buy one. Now that i have the pond where i want it, ive been searching craigslist for my next project bike.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I just looked at your photos of your plants you picked up and the ivy is english ivy it is the stuff in the bottom right hand corner of the pic, and it looks like you also have some sedum, it is in the black tray with the handle. I would definitely think twice about the english ivy, it does look nice but man that stuff is invasive and once you have it you will have for life. We planted some in our house 8 years ago pulled it all out 3 years later and we are still finding it, can't kill it. Reminds me of this stuff that you see in NC called Kudzu, that stuff grows over entire hill sides.

Actually, I looked last night, and the little 6 pack in the tray with the handle, and the one straight to the left of it on the orange pot are the exact same plant, Sedum! I had picked up that little 6 pack marked at $1.99, and about 5 minutes later my fiance picked up the bigger one for $4 and it was the exact same plant! lol, thats fine I guess, I happened to plant them all near eachother, so I guess that one whole area will fill up with sedum.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The ground cover sedum will do well, just not good if there is going to be any foot traffic on it. Here is a good link for the different types of ground cover, some are more well suited for pathways that will take more foot traffic than others. Another one that will spread is adjuga, I have two different varieties and I prefer the one in the first pic more as it has more color variation than the one in the second pic, the last pic is some sedum that I have had for years and has spread to about a 2x2 area where as the adjuga has been there for a little over a year. It is also easy to take pieces and transplant them.

Attachments

• P1030283.JPG
    P1030283.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 203
  • P1030285.JPG
    P1030285.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 189
  • P1030284.JPG
    P1030284.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 192

Ask a Question