Hardiness Zone
7a
Good to here you got it back together and running
With my eyes getting bad I missed the lost a pond part

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, I just got back from vacation yesterday. My pond was 3 inches shy from being full. No water was coming out of the drain so, I have a tight seal. There is a leak though. About a inch and a half stream of water is coming out of the bank about 5 feet below the water level of the pond, well away from the drain. The bank is about 15 feet thick at that point. I went out twice today with the big bar and rake. I chopped the ice, which was about 7 inches thick in places. After doing 25 feet of the bank, I was puzzled. Finally, I spotted where the leak was. I should be able to fix it easy tomorrow. When the water gushed out and the ice dropped, it broke, then pulled dirt, that was attached from the bank, inward. leaving a crack. Strange that the water found it's way through 15 feet of bank, though. Anyhow, I am very happy to have my pond back. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have great news. I was able to stop the leak in the bank today. Ice was under the bank as far as I could reach. Basically, lifting the top 8 inches of the bank. With weather in the 70's, I loaded up some dirt in my full size truck, and backed it close to the pond edge. The bank dropped and stopped the leak completely. As my grandmother used to say. Water is running through the drain "to beat the band". Also, I have seen multiple baby brook trout about an inch long. I also saw a big one rise. I will be ordering trout food direct from Zeigler tomorrow. Life is good again. :)

Ask a Question