I love my all rocked pond

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm going to delete those darn 2003 pond pics lol. That was not the final look of the pond. Unfortunately I did not take photos of the thing before we moved in 2009. I agree for the most part your assessment. Hard to find all matching natural rock. Some locations just don't have a great choice of natural stones.

What we are building is not natural. Waterfalls and ponds don't mix in nature, but we sure are trying to do that in our backyards.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Who says ponds and waterfalls don't mix in nature? My all time favorite pond I ever had was a natural Stream that formed a nice swimming hole about half way through the back yard. had a large bolder on the side you could jump off of and the pond was about 60'x 120' and somewhere around 12-14ft deep at the deepest point. It had about 16 or so brook trout in it that lived year round in the stream/pond. All the rock was from the nearby mountains and it looked so natural and really complimented the yard. Unfortunately like you I no longer have pics of that pond and have since sold the property. The natural flow of water was the only filtration. No filters, no pumps, no air line, all natural and the wildlife around it was simply amazing.

Reaction score
Again, this topic thread is about people that choose to have rock lined ponds, not to hide the bottom with plants etc. We want to see the rocked bottom, it adds to the beauty.
OK, OK, I'll get out of the way of the stampede of people flocking in here to show off their beautiful rock bottom ponds. ;)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My roots are in the farming community. The only ponds I ever saw were slough like, with cat tails. Just a natural hollow for water. No streams or waterfalls. Some had rocks around and in them, but most not. When I picture waterfalls they come off rock areas and flow into rocky areas, pools or rivers. IMO most ponds have no rock, but what we are trying to create looks better with rock when a waterfall is attached.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I was reading over the posts. Most of us know that good bacteria level = reduced algae and nice clear water. The important steps in post #3 help to reduce the sludge on the bottom that over time will disrupt the bacteria balance.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wayne my pond has rock everywhere except a small part on the bottom. We read all that ponders thought about rock or no rock. After having been to many pond tours and seeing most with rocks, we opted for the rock. This is our first year so I'm not sure about how much work we will encounter when we do clean. I admit, I LOVE the fact that we put the rocks. Waiting for the pond to cycle was very frustrating, but water has been clear ever since! My water is crystal clear and we enjoy being able to see the fish and the rocks. I look forward to reading your tips on keeping it clean.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 300

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Hey Wayne
Was this picture taken after two years or after just after putting the fish in?
gallery_4621_279_139814.jpg

I appreciate everybody having their own opinion of what they want their pond to look like, if people like to see rocks on the bottom that's great! I also appreciate you listing a complete draining of the pond every year to clean out the muck as one of your yearly maintenance chores "if you want it to look good and be health". That is the main reason most people don't want rocks on the bottom of their pond, so they can avoid that annual chore. So it's good on you for list that ongoing chore while advocating rock bottom ponds.
Personally I like ponds with tons of plants and you can't see the bottom, or any liner, at all, or at least not obviously. The video I linked to in the other "bare bottom" thread featured one of my favorite ponds (Cliff and Joan's). If you review that video you'll notice you can't see any liner at all, anywhere. Not on the sides, not along the edge, not on the bottom, nowhere, and yet the water is very clear and the fish are very visible (when they want to be). I have tried to do the same thing with my pond, although maybe not a successfully as Cliff and Joan's pond.
Your pond won me over. I love it. Now I can see how a rock bottom pond looks good. Giving me ideas for my next project.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wayne my pond has rock everywhere except a small part on the bottom. We read all that ponders thought about rock or no rock. After having been to many pond tours and seeing most with rocks, we opted for the rock. This is our first year so I'm not sure about how much work we will encounter when we do clean. I admit, I LOVE the fact that we put the rocks. Waiting for the pond to cycle was very frustrating, but water has been clear ever since! My water is crystal clear and we enjoy being able to see the fish and the rocks. I look forward to reading your tips on keeping it clean.

Did you know your gallery video's are set in sideways? Or is it me lol?

I really like your pond setup. Nice balance of rocks with open water to view and plants. Actually you have the perfect rocked pond for cleaning. Cleaning oh gosh, I'm not rdy to reveal, but since you asked you will receive lol.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Your pond won me over. I love it. Now I can see how a rock bottom pond looks good. Giving me ideas for my next project.

Thks Fountain DUDE! I have learned from that pond as well. Best to work with larger stones for sidewalls then what I used. That Montana rock is so pretty. OUr river rocks have no reds, purple or turquoise.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cleaning a rock lined pond:

All we have read in books and internet so far is drain it, power wash the heck out of everything, and then suck the crud out with a shop vac [pond vac].

Wrong!!!!!

New method just starting to come out, we will call stir, rinse, and drain lol. It is not my idea.

Equipment needed:

4,000-7,000 gal/hr pump. Your main pond pump will work, so no $$$ needed.
3,000-4,000 gal/hr cheap utility pump. You might alrdy have a decent one for pond draining. I have a H-depot 1/6 HP for $89. I will upgrade to maybe a 1/2 HP for $200. That should be in the 3 to 4 thou g/hr range.
100 gal tub for the cute fishes lol, with net, air pump, larger if you have many large koi. LEss if you have just small goldfish. I bought a 100 gal plastic tub for $150 at a plastics manufacturer. Air pump, use the one for wintering fish if you have it.
Enough cheap sump pump hose to run from main pump out to the neighbors if you dislike them lol.

THe procedure is tomorrow night lol, as I'm hooking up my pond electrical during daylight.

System is very simple, kills minimal good bacteria, gets 85% of all pond crud out of the rocks. And only 3-4 hours for average pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Rock bottom ponds do look good, but much better when complemented with plants. I do have some rocks in certain areas, but they lose their color when underwater and will get a natural fuzzy mossy look. That too, still looks good as you can still see the shapes of the rocks. I prefer a bit of both worlds, some rocks, some wood pieces, lots of plants to keep the pond super healthy and clean, and some large open deep areas where the fish can winter down at the deepest level. I do also keep some "crud sludge" at the bottom for the hornwort to winter in and the snails can live there too. I never EveR CLEAN my pond or take it apart as that is too distructive and would kill lots of natural pond life, such as water striders that keep the lily pads free of bugs, snails that break down organic matter, and dragon flys that can take up to five years to emerge from the underwater stage, in my pond. The only part of my pond that I clean is the filters, and scoop some sludge from the very very bottom. The ponds stay very clean because of the very very large sedges that grow in my pond. You too could plant sedges such as yellow flag water iris that will bloom all yellow and green up your pond very nice and it would look very good, planted right in your rocks! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It took us almost a week to fill our pond, I can't imagine draining it, catching the fish to clean it, refilling, fighting our acidic well water input again.
If it works for you that is great! Love the look of rocks in a pond, but no thanks.

Ask a Question