I love my all rocked pond

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have said before Colleen, your system is down pat and works great for you! Real natural environment.

You ever see the show " life after people" ? Anyways a dumb reality. Whatever would kill all humans most likely would kill most other land creatures. Just like it did millions of years ago. But your pond would exist, well after ours to create life again lol.

I want to plant my pond end of the month, or Sept, is that too late for over wintering? That's even if I can find in water pond plants to buy?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I got lots of plants that will winter here nice, giving away a huge sweet flag, I posted it on my Facebook, under Colleen Pennington. If your ever in my area I will give you some chucks of my plants, not too late to get them in before winter. In the very early spring I will have more chucks too that will be easier to transport to Edmonton. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0469.jpg
    IMAG0469.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMAG0002_COVER.jpg
    IMAG0002_COVER.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 295

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It took us almost a week to fill our pond, I can't imagine draining it, catching the fish to clean it, refilling, fighting our acidic well water input again.
If it works for you that is great! Love the look of rocks in a pond, but no thanks.

LOl yes it doesn't work in all cases.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
NO problem, thanks for the consideration.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cleaning a rock lined pond:

Procedure:

Basically the main pump now will pump out the water. The utility pump will be used to stir up the crud and move it to the main pump to pump out. Make sure both pumps pluged to a GFI outlet.

1] Pull the main pump from skimmer box or other pump location and attach it to the sump pump hose. If lots of large debris set the pump in a milk crate. Drain pond to level where the fish can be netted with least stress to them.

2] While this is happening and using the pond water that is pumped out, clean all bio filter mats. Cleaning the pads with city hose water will kill the good bacteria.

3] After fish all secure in the big tub, start up the utility pump. You will be pumping pond water to do the cleaning. Start at the top of the pond and using now the force of water coming out, 3,000 to 4,000 g/hr pump rate to clean. Volume of water is used to clean the crud from behind the rocks. This way all the crud will be washed down and the force is not enough to strip the bio layer off the rocks, which is what power washing does. Also washing with a garden hose is not enough water volume and it adds chlorinated water to the pond.

4] After cleaning the top of the pond rocks down to the water level, start up the main pump. You will now stir up the crud on the bottom and push it towards the main pump to pump out. Stick the hose right into the rocks. Do this until you are down to the bottom of the deepest part.

5] Fill the pond with dechlorinated water only enough to run the utility pump and give the entire pond a good rinsing. Drain all out again and you're done.

6] Fill the pond with dechlorinated water and add the fish when temps are within 2 degrees.

I have not tried this method yet, but will do it before winter to test it as I missed the spring cleanout this year. Also got some mortar residue in the water after re-doing the waterfall.

THe main advantage to this method is that most all the crud will be washed away and pumped out leaving the good bacteria layers intact. Also eliminates the messy and time consuming method of a complete drain and then sucking the crud out with a pond vac. Which also does not get the crud off the rocks, just off the bottom.

Any questions? What are your thoughts? lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My thoughts are it's too much work for little ole me! The rocks look nice when clean and sitting all nicely on the bottom but I'll leave all that work to you youngsters w/ the big guns and six packs. I'll enjoy looking at your work when you are done..............your pond.........................not your six packs and guns :razz:

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No six packs at 49, who needs them? lol

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Get a six pack real easy, pick it up at the beer store!! :) I getting old too, heck where does the time go! Spend lots of time at work, working to death, with no end in sight! Oh well, I plan to make the yard nicer every year, going to sit by the pond and have coffee till I'm 90 at least! Got to much too do, maybe I'll be here till I'm 100! no plan to "check out early in life.... Oh there's that little robin again, eating the choke cherries, he still has his speckles on his chest, how cute, seen him lots this morning too.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh ya, I watched all those shows, life after people, cool! Hey what happened to the running around with the Batman suit on with the back "trap door" open, mooning everyone in sight with your plastic six pack! Ha ha ha. I'm always into a good laugh... can we see pictures too! :)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I thought that was too silly to remain posted here LOl. This was supposed to be a serious topic lol.

YA work, that's why we invested our money and now it's work on my own time :goldfish: . LIfe is to short to work the 40 hr 9-5 until you die.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I thought it was a rather cute post! Got to have a sense of humor, life's so short... I just work mostly part time now, but I love to work cause I would be depressed sitting at home, and I got lots of friends at work and we joke all the time! I don't actually think I could be any happier. I love to just work in my garden and admire all my hard work in the flower beds. I think I love my pond so much cause I alone created it, and there is a certain pride one takes from doing it yourself that money can't buy. Maybe that's why there is so many depressed people, they don't know how to work hard, how to create something from nothing but a pile of rocks and a piece liner. Work too keeps you from getting depressed, I think. Do you think pond people are generally more satisfied and generally happier than most others? I think there are lots of depressed people out there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I missed something here? What you talkin about Superman w/ a trap door? Oh well I snoozed and losed :razz:

Ask a Question