I need help and advice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had not seen anything from him in some time. I thought i was just missing his posts here and there he always had some tech knowledge he always shared.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@ad
i always recommend, a in line filter, and a separate tub so to treat the tub to remove what is needed. by treatments.before you add it to the pond

I know for me, having a pond in an average sized suburban back yard leaves no room for a separate tub to treat water before adding to the pond. We've always just topped off the pond without worrying about treating the water - we never add more than a few hundred gallons at a time.

I do agree though about forgetting the hose - we've heard that story a LOT on the forum. I always ALWAYS set a timer when adding water to the pond for this very reason! Just when you think "I won't forget" - you'll forget!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@ad
I wonder if he quit the forum or what?

I wonder if he just turned off his alerts - maybe turning off notifications changes the way your user name is handled on the forum?

I just went to the Members tab and searched his name - he still comes up as a member, but it definitely treated his user name differently than it did yours or mine.

Sorry @MitchM - if you see this... not stalking you! Just a forum curiosity!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My very first house was an old speak easy and still had the gas light fixtures that the people put in the attic and I rescued them and rewired them for electric .I like pex it is so much easier then copper to run .My pond gets water changes when it rains .I do have to add water during summer heat because of evaporation .I do not want to ever drain my well as they are to expensive to have done

Reaction score
Country
United States
@ad

I know for me, having a pond in an average sized suburban back yard leaves no room for a separate tub to treat water before adding to the pond. We've always just topped off the pond without worrying about treating the water - we never add more than a few hundred gallons at a time.

I do agree though about forgetting the hose - we've heard that story a LOT on the forum. I always ALWAYS set a timer when adding water to the pond for this very reason! Just when you think "I won't forget" - you'll forget!
all you need is a inflatable kids swimming pool [ cheap]. i would recommend one with a inflatable top ring it will also double as a place put your fish in when you clean out the pond.you can float it in the pond with fish. while its being cleaned or drained.i have seen the Japanese use the very same thing while catching fish from the mud ponds.those with small ponds can use a trash can[clean]. or with a plastic liner non scented . non treated water will cause fish stress. it can even kill. you get a neighborhood water line issue say up the street a ways they will hit the water with a heavy dose of chlorine. not to mention water hardness, PH. ammonia, and a host of other things they add to water. each city is different i dont like living life on the edge. mike

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't clean my pond, so no need for a kiddie pool... but it is a good idea. My only thought on that would be longevity. I've bought plenty of those cheap inflatable ponds for my kids and grandkids - they don't last more than a few uses. Now I have one more thing to add to the ever growing trash pile!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Guess i am lucky my brother inlaw works for the water dept and knows exactly what they add to our water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
☺️ the joy of well water! It comes from a limestone aquifer, so hard water, but my fish seem pretty sturdy. Lol, my guppy colonies aren’t suffering, they keep popping out babies, and I haven’t lost any since that bout with ich.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
thats cool but all people have to do is send a letter to them and the must send information to you on just whats is used to treat the water..

True - but that's an overall picture. I think you initially raised the concern of day to day dosing changes, which can happen as a result of a number of situations. For example, whenever our hydrants get flushed, they follow up with a bigger dose of chlorine. That's something you wouldn't know from a general report.

Reaction score
Country
United States
you are correct, another good reason to treat your water BEFORE its put in the pond...this will STOP the inflow of unwanted chemicals. i dont like living the life of my fish on the edge of disaster.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pick up the phone when he calls and he tells me if he has done something drastic or if he needs to or has shut down a reservoir due to algae or what ever the case may be. It's handy

Ask a Question