I need some advice fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ponds don't need pumps at this time of year, in the event you do have reason to switch it off, take your time checking pond levels for a leak. Streams are often found to have flaws, rodents might peck through liners out of sight to get at water when all about is otherwise frozen

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
moles are good for that .I have lots of mole tunnels and they won't leave .

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
If this helps. I have a check valve in my skimmer so that if I shut my external pump off I don't loose prime. You can see that (yellow highlite) it helps with the proper way to install it. I also have a basket at the bottom of it so large debre dosen't get sucked in.

Attachments

• check valve.JPG
    check valve.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 230
  • strainer.JPG
    strainer.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 280

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing i found with those debris handlers is they get clogged and you have to pull the pump if it is subermersable it is a pain .I have them on my pumps and ave to pull them once a week .I bought a leaf basket but waiting for spring to install it on the one pump that can be submerged or out of water

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the check valve on our pond stream piping to keep it full of water going up the hill. Works great, also the pump does not lose prime. Used to have a brass one, the pvc one works a lot better.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a check valve but I still lose the prime on the pump. I don't know why. I think it may be because we take the pump inlet off to check the pump for clogs and the water spills out of the pipe. I checked the level today and its the same as yesterday and its still running strong.

Reaction score
I have the worse luck with check valves. I have one between my upflow plant filter and the pump, because if we have a power failure, I don't want all the gunk to back flow into the pump. It works great for a while, then after a time it just fails. ??? OK, the first one I didn't spend much on, but the second I did. They where both PVC. Shrug, I also have a gate valve on that circuit, so that if I will be turning the power off on purpose, I close the valve first.

Ask a Question