I need some help - Please

Koiandturtlepond0000

iJustWantANicePond:)
Reaction score
Unfortunately the fountain has it's own separate pump and recirculated water supply, it has a nice trickle down effect between its 2 layers but not into the pond unfortunately - yes I think it is the easy option.. Haha :)

Koiandturtlepond0000

Reaction score
Send a line from your pump, small line to the fountain, get rid of the fountain pump. That way the water would go up into the fountain and back down to the pond, would look neat!

When the water is cleaner maybe, the fountain has very small pipes which are prone to blocking up now and then.. Would be a bit fiddly as well, as the fountain is designed to have its own filter and reservoir recirculating water..

Reaction score
Send a line from your pump, small line to the fountain, get rid of the fountain pump. That way the water would go up into the fountain and back down to the pond, would look neat!

This was my idea as well, it would definitely look cool and help some with aeration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
some filter idea, dont have to find space out side the pond, put them in the pond, see the last 2 pictures in my showcase https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/anyas-pond.12/. that's similar to what pther people imagine for your fountain to be, but mine the water just filter through all the gravel and back to the pond, and it's a mini bog.

With the pump, you can use your old pump (if it's not dead yet) as a second pump. Second pump is good as a back up pump.

Reaction score
some filter idea, dont have to find space out side the pond, put them in the pond, see the last 2 pictures in my showcase https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/anyas-pond.12/. that's similar to what pther people imagine for your fountain to be, but mine the water just filter through all the gravel and back to the pond, and it's a mini bog.

With the pump, you can use your old pump (if it's not dead yet) as a second pump. Second pump is good as a back up pump.

The only issue I have with in pond filtration is that nitrates tend to build up quick because the filth is still in the water source.....I suppose that if its cleaned often enough it won't be a problem?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Talal, I think the only way to reduce Nitrate is to do a water change but then again if your water source has Nitrate it might not help as much. Can you get the water from different source? Have rain barrels? I think the other way is to have lots of plants so they use the nitrate. and I mean lots and lots of plants.

Koiandturtlepond0000

Reaction score
Hi,

Right, i have just checked the water coming out of the filter and its basically just the same as the pond water i think. There does not seem to be any clear difference, so in other words I am not sure the filter is the problem.

THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION, showing me up for my lack of pond knowledge, but is the water coming out of the pump/filter system supposed to be crystal clear?

Or does it clean in small bits at a time?

Thanks! Just about to go and get an aerator for the pond talal101 and sissy

Koiandturtlepond0000

Reaction score
Also, i have put some of this GREEN AWAY product into the pond to try and help clump the algae together.. Thats right?

Reaction score
Green away is just going to make dead algae that will still need to be filtered out. I seriously would start filtering the water manually with cotton batting. Find some way (even if it has to be a temporary line from the filer to the pond) to run the pond water through a small basket or something that can hold the cotton fill batting in place while the hose from the filter runs the pond water through it. I know it sounds crazy but it works VERY well! In 24 hours you will see a dramatic difference and in just days you'll see the bottom :)
After the pond is clear, use the fountain to put batting in, less likely to be seen, to keep the pond clear of single cell algae. Unfortunately because your pond is in the sun most the day, this will be a never ending battle. The good thing is, Batting is a very cheap, and I have even been known to buy stuffed animals at the thrift store and use the stuffing out if these, that way I can just throw away what gets nasty and its even cheaper :)
Lillies and floating plants will help shade a bit but the fish like to eat them so there is that problem lol

oh and welcome! :)

Reaction score
Green away is just going to make dead algae that will still need to be filtered out. I seriously would start filtering the water manually with cotton batting. Find some way (even if it has to be a temporary line from the filer to the pond) to run the pond water through a small basket or something that can hold the cotton fill batting in place while the hose from the filter runs the pond water through it. I know it sounds crazy but it works VERY well! In 24 hours you will see a dramatic difference and in just days you'll see the bottom :)
After the pond is clear, use the fountain to put batting in, less likely to be seen, to keep the pond clear of single cell algae. Unfortunately because your pond is in the sun most the day, this will be a never ending battle. The good thing is, Batting is a very cheap, and I have even been known to buy stuffed animals at the thrift store and use the stuffing out if these, that way I can just throw away what gets nasty and its even cheaper :)
Lillies and floating plants will help shade a bit but the fish like to eat them so there is that problem lol

oh and welcome! :)

LOL that's a little disturbing....do you....do you enjoy tearing them apart;):p......

Hi,

Right, i have just checked the water coming out of the filter and its basically just the same as the pond water i think. There does not seem to be any clear difference, so in other words I am not sure the filter is the problem.

THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION, showing me up for my lack of pond knowledge, but is the water coming out of the pump/filter system supposed to be crystal clear?

Or does it clean in small bits at a time?

Thanks! Just about to go and get an aerator for the pond talal101 and sissy

Sounds good, make sure its one made for ponds because the others are made for indoor use and may not be able to handle water on them. Im sure it will make a huge difference as will filtering with quilt batting.

Ask a Question