I need your help!

BBK

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a way to DIY a filter for my pond but I have too many obstacles that I cant think of any way.

This is my pond
100_0166.jpg

I'll explain how my pump is rigged. The pump is submerged in the pond with a 5/8" flexible tube coming out on the left front. It connects to my UV under the pot.
100_0167.jpg

The water leaves my UV via a 3/4" flexible tube to the back left where it returns to the pond.

As you can see, there is no place to put the filter.
On the front left by the UV I have 15"
100_0169.jpg

On the far sides and back I have less than 8" to work with
100_0170.jpg

I was thinking of rigging a filter to the front right hand side up against the fence. It would connect from the pump before it goes to the UV. I will be upgrading the pump to a 3/4" outlet so There will be a 3/4" tube going to the filter. Then the outlet from the filter would run underground to the UV and then to the far left where it spills back into the pond.

Anyone have any ideas how to rig this? I thought about skippy design but I think the return wouldn't have enough power to push the water through the UV and then underground to the far side.

Anyone have any ideas?

BBK

Reaction score
Thats what I have been using. It is ridiculously hard to clean and it clogs and shuts my pump down every other day.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What is on the other side of the fence,,,It would be a great spot for the filter .. you dont have to see it...it could be your filter area
Then you could make a bigger water fall ...and it would easy to service

Reaction score
DrCase said:
What is on the other side of the fence,,,It would be a great spot for the filter .. you dont have to see it...it could be your filter area
Then you could make a bigger water fall ...and it would easy to service

LOL! That's exactly what I asked in her other thread. Said that it belongs to her neighbor, who would let her put a filter there, but she's worried that the neighborhood kids might see it and perhaps doing something to it.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
What size is the pond? I'm suprised the inpond basket gets clogged so fast. What size is your pump inside it? I made one for a small pond I had out of a Large pond planter, lava rock and a fountain pump and it did a fabulous job. Maybe an upgrade of the pump is needed? More info?

BBK

Reaction score
250gph pump i believe.
Other side of fence is my neighbors rock driveway which is in a dark ally.
Pond is 7X3X3 roughly 400g.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
I would try and upgrade my pump to at least 500gph, and do basket in pond filter, if not a flower pot up flow filter. Rig a large size pot with a 1 1/4 inch pipe running to the bottom with another pvc piped in, then 40 degree ends in alternating directions to swish around the bottom. A smaller size plastic ot bottom with lotsa holes or some lighting plastic grate trimmed to fit, leaving about 3-4 inches on bottom for settlement (plumb a discharge there to clean to waste) Fill the top with lava rock, then smaller pea gravel, plant some cannas and water hysinth on top. Run your outflow of you pump with flexable hose up and into the PVC (the PVC should be from bottom to about a foot over the rocks (yes its an eyesore till the canas cover it, which is fast. Allow the flex hose to dump into the PVC getting Oxygen on the way down. The water then trickles up through the diff layers of rock, for mechanical and bio and the roots will take in the nitrates. Carve out a small area on top, for overflow or slightly tilt the planter. I did this with a 1/2 whiskey barrel from Tractor supply, but if thats to big a large plater container should work> just my thoughts :) janine

Reaction score
u could still do a waterfall bio filter or a small skippy. you say u only have 8 in from the back of the fence to the pond thats fine what u would do would b to build some type of bridge over the pond about 12" and that would give u 20" and u could set the filter on top of that and the fish would have a little cave underneith the waterfall/ Skippy filter to play in.
just my 2 cents

Reaction score
I got one of these for my fines filter as I had limated space. Not sure if you could use like 1-3 of them together. There not the cheepest, but 3 would be 69 gals of filter. Sorry I cant see the pics, I was only going off what you said about 8" and figured I would post this.
501996GY_02.jpg

501996GY_01.jpg

WIDTH INCHES 20
DEPTH INCHES 11
HEIGHT INCHES 30
Could lean it forward a little to fit the 8". $31 at HD.

Reaction score
I got one, but forgot my coupon for 10% off lowes as HD accepts them. Ive spent over $100 at HD in the last week, could have saved over $10. Darn.

Ask a Question