Ice in a raised wooden pond??

Reaction score
I would like to build a raised pond using wood and an epdm liner. I am well aware of the weight and lateral pressure water exerts on its container. I am wondering if 3"- 5" of ice would damage a structure 32' x 10' x 3' made from 4" x 6" and 2" x 12" pt lumber with concreted poles spaced 4' to 5' feet apart? I have built many decks, carports and other large projects, I do not want to build this pond to small. Any info you could provide would be much appreciated...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
that's a nice size pond
I never had a wooden pond but it should work especially since your building it thinking about what ice will do to it..a little over kill would be the way to go.
I had 3" of ice on my concrete block pond this year .. It was the first real ice test since i built it with no problems
Welcome to the forum

Reaction score
If you could build even a 12" of it under ground it will help you not only with structural integrity, but also with a bit of insulation for those winter months. Also, don't forget above ground ponds also get warmer in summer.

Reaction score
I have done alot of research as i am undertaken a build nearly identical. If you build it to retaining wall specs you will be fine as wet dirt weighs more than water.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 10'x13'x3' built with 4x4s and 2x12s. We have had ice up to 8" thick this year alone and have never had a problem. The pond is over 10 years old. Just make sure to put your posts in well. 2x12s will bow out from the weight of the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have built several in ground ponds in past places where I have lived. I have also built ponds working with a landscaping company. From that I learned I could keep several fish year round if, (here in Ohio, USA), I built at least3 to 4 feet deep and kept some form of a bubbler running through the winter. My question to someone experienced with raised ponds, how deep in the ground do I need to go if I'm 2 or 3 feet above ground?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 raised ponds, both built with 4x4s and 2x12s. Both have one side completely above ground and 2-3' below ground. ( Built on slope.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I have a wood pond much smaller then the size you are considering. I also live in Canada. I had a good 8" of ice on mine for a little while this past winder. No structural damage at all. I ended up adding a cattle trough type floating heater though and never had ice again despite temps dropping below -30 Celsius a few times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
oh yeah, mine is built from 2"x4" non pressure treated lumber with 7/8" OSB inside lined with tyvek and fence board "siding" on the outside. I also cut and crammed 3" rigid insulation into the cavities and a sheet underneath.

Ask a Question