Ick on gills only? Knockout plus with salt?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi friends,

I have a 400gal pond stocked with 8 goldfish and 2 small koi, lots of water plants, snails, good biologic and mechanical filtration.

The goldfish appear to have ick (looks like raised salt granules) but only on their gills- so maybe not ick? Some have pale gills so I was thinking possibly gill flukes as well? They're acting normal except today I noticed one was breathing heavy.

I started with pond salt treatment and got up to 0.02% salinity over several days before I realized it would harm the snails. I then did an approximately 40% water change and vacuumed up a bunch of sludge from the bottom. Salinity down to 0.013% now. I'm wondering if I can safely use Knockout Plus at this salinity level? Would you recommend a different treatment?

Nitrates, ammonia, nitrites all zero. Hard (well) water.

Thank you!
Jasmine

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdy44.gif
and welcome @jmorrell
One of the main tell-tale signs that your goldfish is male, is the development of tubercles (small white spots) on their gill-shields.
  • Usually the breeding tubercles will only last during the fish's breeding period, however in older males who have lived through several breeding seasons, the tubercles may be present all year round.
  • The tubercles may also appear on the pectoral fins, on the face and on the scales on the body of the fish.
  • Be aware that although the presence of tubercles is a good indication that your goldfish is male, their absence does not necessarily mean that your fish is female, as not all males will develop tubercles.
Male 3.png

Ask a Question