Ideas welcome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this Great Egret from sitting on my feeder? It ate a dove at noon…

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
12 penny galvanized nails glued to the roof. Glue the head of the nail to the roof

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
That is a great idea GBBUDD, thank you. I would have to take my dremel and grind off the points since so many birds like to sit on top to wait their turn for food ...I was hoping for a less harmful solution but I just may have to resort to that method if I can't find any.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it won't hurt the birds it just makes it a bad landing they will start to land then fly away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my neighbor uses fishing line strung between screws on the bluebird houses to keep other birds from using the bird house. It actually works too. You could put screws around the edge of the roof and do the same - so they wouldn't have a stable place to land. Of course it might just sit below on the wall or in a tree...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I like Hound Heaven's fishing line idea. I was going to suggest putting a halo of plastic deer netting on the feeder, as it isn't strong enough to perch on for a bigger bird and he won't like his feet tangled in it. But, really, I think he'll just perch elsewhere and do his thing. I love birds, so am always torn between "what a beautiful Great Egret you are" and "Hey, YOU! Eat someone else's pond fish."

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get the carpet nail strips, glue a few rows of them down. They will not land . Their feet are bigger then little birds that can land in between the strips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
my neighbor uses fishing line strung between screws on the bluebird houses to keep other birds from using the bird house. It actually works too. You could put screws around the edge of the roof and do the same - so they wouldn't have a stable place to land. Of course it might just sit below on the wall or in a tree...
What a great idea! This way I will not be hurting any of the other birds! Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My first thought was to put one of those wind spinners on top, but that would probably scare away all the birds that you want to feed.

Ask a Question