Identify Odd Fish In My Pond?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Larkin; Our rules for shipping by Canada Post basically ban any containers with water in them as far as I have been able to determine. This means we have to ship via Purolator or some such, which can get VERY expensive! The last three fish I bought were at the end of a five-hour drive (one way), but we needed a mini-vacation anyway. What some people won't do for their hobby!!!
John
yea, I knew there were different rules for sure. As my screen name kind of says, I have two major hobbies, one is the ponds, the other is collecting NASCAR diecast and hot wheels. Been collecting them for about 25 years. Many times ya'll (Canadians) get variations that we don't get here in the states and vice verse. I've shipped to Canada these to a couple of members in Canada and they have shipped me some. Quite a bit more expensive for them to ship here than for me to ship there.
I've also made long trips for fish as well. When I owned my own store I made a trip from Central Miss. to Tampa Florida to hand pick fish from two different importers for fresh and Salt water fish. Only did that once! LOL It was bad enough driving straight through to get them to the store. Then ha to unpack several thousand dollars worth of fish in the middle of the night and open up for grand opening the next morning. Talking about totally exhausted. Last year we drove to the Dallas Texas koi show and bought 3 fish, one over 20" and brought them back 10 hour drive. Yes, we do know what some will do for their hobby! LOL

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We carry Wakin at the store I work at, down to the final pickins for this year. probably 3-4 4"+ left. Best ones have been picked over this year. He should get more in this spring.

There is also a fellow near Baton Rouge that has some super nice Goldfish for sale. ( Ornamental Pond fish)

Might cost more for the drive down and back Versus shipping cost but there are a few places to find nice quality fish in our area. I've driven further to get good fish. LOL

Hmm, I see a trip to South LA in my 2013 future :) Actually, wouldn't mind the drive, especially now that I-49 is available -- will just have to plan the logistics of combining some touristy things. We haven't been that way in YEARS. I also have a sister-in-law who recently moved to BR. She's had ponds before, and I bet would just LOVE to help me pick out fish! She's a fan of Shubunkins. In fact, might ask her to check out the seller you mentioned.

So, Larkin, I guess everyone else on GPF but me is aware, but WHAT do you do? Didn't realize you worked in the industry -- that's cool! What is the name of your store [where you work] and where is it located? Also, who's the BR guy, so I can let my SIL know?

You'll have to keep me posted [I'll remind you] about Wakin/Watoni shipments in the spring so I can plan accordingly. Would much prefer picking out my own fishies rather than doing it mail order [recently read your post regarding mail-order fiasco].

Ask a Question