I'm calling out the National Guard!!!!!

L

Lin

They are destroying my large lotus as well. Totally ignoring the bag-a-bug traps. Is anything going right this year????
Not going right for my pond this year either. Now I think I have a slow leak and that is really frustrating to find. If I'm patient, which seems to be lacking in me this year, the thick underlay of newspaper usually seals off any pinhole type leaks. My liner has a lifetime guarantee but I never trust those guarantees. Here's hoping my bad luck and yours disappears.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh how beautiful your Lotus. I cut my beauty Bloom off and floated it in a Lotus bowl, but it is turning brown.
They are blooming like crazy, but the flowers don't like this horrible heat we are having. Heading up to 100f today.

L

Lin

Yes moles eat grubs which = beetles. We have moles everywhere.
No Moles here due to too many stray cats. No Voles or Mice either. "Beware the White Footed Mouse." It can be a good thing those wonderful, little excavating Voles and Moles.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They work I spray for the hive beetle larvae, it has helped control them.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So beautiful is your pond. I go look at it all the time. Is your whole hand green? Beautiful Pond and Beautiful plants.
Thank you. But I only post the pictures of the garden when it looks good. ;) The beetles are destroying my coneflowers this year. Holes in all the flower petals, but they aren't bothering the leaves. My dogs eat the leaves! My morning ritual is to to outside to make sure the raccoon hasn't knocked the plants back into the pond and to hand pick the beetles off my flowers. Believe it or not, I think hand picking them has helped a little.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh. Japanese beetles are my nemesis! They destroyed my hollyhocks this year. And they're chomping on my canna lilies. Horrible creatures.

Handpicking is the number one way I deal with them, but I also bought Neem oil this year and have been dousing my plants with them. Apparently it not only deters the beetles from eating your plants, but if they do ingest it, it keeps their eggs from hatching, which TOO BAD FOR THEM!

@Lin - instead of worrying that I may grow too old to care for my pond, I remind myself that caring for my pond and gardens will keep me young! Keep moving, spend lots of time outdoors, connect with nature... you'll be light years ahead of the game!

L

Lin

Ugh. Japanese beetles are my nemesis! They destroyed my hollyhocks this year. And they're chomping on my canna lilies. Horrible creatures.

Handpicking is the number one way I deal with them, but I also bought Neem oil this year and have been dousing my plants with them. Apparently it not only deters the beetles from eating your plants, but if they do ingest it, it keeps their eggs from hatching, which TOO BAD FOR THEM!

@Lin - instead of worrying that I may grow too old to care for my pond, I remind myself that caring for my pond and gardens will keep me young! Keep moving, spend lots of time outdoors, connect with nature... you'll be light years ahead of the game!
I hope you are right, but Oh My Aching back and bones, not to mention other parts of my anatomy, are saying something different......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hope you are right, but Oh My Aching back and bones, not to mention other parts of my anatomy, are saying something different......

Ahh... but that's a GOOD ache! After a long winter, when I first get out into my gardens and start working around the yard, I ache so bad. But after a week or two I find that all eases up. By mid-May I can work outside all day and sleep like a baby!

Edited to add: I also found myself a great massage therapist who does WONDERS in keeping my back from killing me! I've had lots of sciatica issues in the past, but she keeps me loose and in good working order!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not going right for my pond this year either. Now I think I have a slow leak and that is really frustrating to find. If I'm patient, which seems to be lacking in me this year, the thick underlay of newspaper usually seals off any pinhole type leaks. My liner has a lifetime guarantee but I never trust those guarantees. Here's hoping my bad luck and yours disappears.
Are you sure it's a leak and not evaporation? My ponds are dropping 6-8" a week with this heat.

L

Lin

Ahh... but that's a GOOD ache! After a long winter, when I first get out into my gardens and start working around the yard, I ache so bad. But after a week or two I find that all eases up. By mid-May I can work outside all day and sleep like a baby!

Edited to add: I also found myself a great massage therapist who does WONDERS in keeping my back from killing me! I've had lots of sciatica issues in the past, but she keeps me loose and in good working order!
Sounds like a plan. I have a friend doing Acupuncture for sciatica. She said it is well worth the $65 for the treatment.

Ask a Question