I'm calling out the National Guard!!!!!

L

Lin

Are you sure it's a leak and not evaporation? My ponds are dropping 6-8" a week with this heat.
Here's hoping you are right. I am watching like a "Hawk". This morning it was down an inch or two after topping it off late last night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am losing a lot of water also. The hot tub pond, about 3 inches in 4 or so days. The big pond I add a hour of water every day.
Are you sure it's a leak and not evaporation? My ponds are dropping 6-8" a week with this heat.

L

Lin

I am losing a lot of water also. The hot tub pond, about 3 inches in 4 or so days. The big pond I add a hour of water every day.
That is a huge amount of evaporation. I don't ever remember losing that much. It really scares me.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a huge amount of evaporation. I don't ever remember losing that much. It really scares me.
Darn hot here, a lot of plants using a lot of water to keep alive. I also have a lot of surface of moving water. Between the bog and the pond.

L

Lin

Thank you. But I only post the pictures of the garden when it looks good. ;) The beetles are destroying my coneflowers this year. Holes in all the flower petals, but they aren't bothering the leaves. My dogs eat the leaves! My morning ritual is to to outside to make sure the raccoon hasn't knocked the plants back into the pond and to hand pick the beetles off my flowers. Believe it or not, I think hand picking them has helped a little.
I never get my garden to reach your "looks good" best. Now my Koi ,on the other hand, are always the most beautiful thing in my backyard.:D

L

Lin

Darn hot here, a lot of plants using a lot of water to keep alive. I also have a lot of surface of moving water. Between the bog and the pond.
I hope this is not Global Warming in play and our ponds will not:sick: just evaporate into thin air.

L

Lin

Sacred Lotus and 1 ichy beetle......

Attachments

• IMG_7978.JPG
    IMG_7978.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7980.JPG
    IMG_7980.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7977.JPG
    IMG_7977.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 68

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have a 75 gallon preform pond that has been taken over by a lotus. Its been going completely dry every 2 days. 90+ temps and full sun from 11am on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you. But I only post the pictures of the garden when it looks good. ;) The beetles are destroying my coneflowers this year. Holes in all the flower petals, but they aren't bothering the leaves. My dogs eat the leaves! My morning ritual is to to outside to make sure the raccoon hasn't knocked the plants back into the pond and to hand pick the beetles off my flowers. Believe it or not, I think hand picking them has helped a little.
My trick is to have a large & varied garden, so that even when a lot of things look, ummm... less than perfect, there's still *something* out there nice enough to take pictures of! And I'm a master of photo editing to crop out the icky parts! :ROFLMAO:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My trick is to have a large & varied garden, so that even when a lot of things look, ummm... less than perfect, there's still *something* out there nice enough to take pictures of! And I'm a master of photo editing to crop out the icky parts! :ROFLMAO:
Me too!

L

Lin

Have a 75 gallon preform pond that has been taken over by a lotus. Its been going completely dry every 2 days. 90+ temps and full sun from 11am on.
It just hit 100 degrees here. Not good for me or the pond. I am taking refuge inside by the air conditioner.

L

Lin

So after listening to everybody here, I went back out and took another look and it's not evaporation and it's not a leak. The liner where I dragged so much of the Lotus out of the pond was folded over and way lower than the side, took me a minute to fix that and add water up to the right level again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah! I had low edge of liner, happened over night, probably a deer, ground hog, whatever. Pulled the liner down in one of the small loop ponds the big pond was down by over a foot the next morning. I thought I had a major leak but found the dropped edge pretty fast.

L

Lin

Yeah! I had low edge of liner, happened over night, probably a deer, ground hog, whatever. Pulled the liner down in one of the small loop ponds the big pond was down by over a foot the next morning. I thought I had a major leak but found the dropped edge pretty fast.
Thank God! I couldn't see the side that had folded over because I left too many stalks from the Lotus for the Koi to play with. Lesson Learned:banghead:

Ask a Question