I'm planning to never net my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I strongly suggest thinking about the flight path of birds. Now i may have gone a bit over board and installed a 20 foot tall telephone wood pole. from there a cable goes to the garage and another to the house . With a third cable trung across the two over the center of the pond. a growing hedge under one side and the other has the golf net. this gets slid back to the side like a swaged curtain and pretty much left that way . I to did not want a net over my pond while i was sitting on the patio.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I stopped netting my pond after I got tired releasing trapped birds from it everyday. Some cases they were already dead...caught and then drowned. Tons of birds use my pond to drink and bathe in. And then all of a sudden there’s a net there? But the last few years has been a pain netting up literal pounds of wet rotting leaves from my pond almost every day...and I still had to spend a day in spring trying clean up the mess. I dunno. Im at a loss as well what to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@seandelevan what if you built a more solid structure with tight screening instead of loose netting? I've seen people build almost a hut type structure out of PVC and then put netting or even screening - very taut - over that. The birds might run into it but they wouldn't get caught up in the netting. I guess much depends on the shape and size of your pond. The best idea I've seen for catching leaves is a tent shaped net over the pond so the leaves that fall on it slide right down. I can't imagine trying to haul a net full of wet leaves off the pond without creating even more of a mess than I had to start with! Luckily this isn't a real big problem for me... yet. The neighbor behind us planted two pin oaks, and we are starting to see more and more oak leaves in the fall. So far we do fine with the scooping in the fall and again in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No net = no fish for my urban pond. The feral cats, raccoons, and hawks daily scout the netted pond that also has a small shade-providing pergola in what otherwise would be a concrete inferno in my urban environment. The pond is small, 4000 gallons, 5' x 20' with 15 large (12" to 18") koi and several gold fish that I've had for 17 years. (After last year's spawn, there are also smaller fish that we're trying to catch for rehoming.) I wish there was a more attractive way to protect them...the net is unattractive. We do leave the bog (5' x 3') unnetted.
By the way...does anyone have any experience with floating pond protectors that can be found on eBay, the hexagonal plastic grids that connect to cover a pond?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hawks are looking at your fish . At least they won't be catching one. But they will gladly take a frog or a snake

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know from having all kinds of fish over the years I'd lean toward fat bellies from over feeding before I see parasites. Spitting out the food can simply meanI thar piece was bad or stale .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stopped netting my pond after I got tired releasing trapped birds from it everyday. Some cases they were already dead...caught and then drowned.
I net mine anti heron, 3-4 feet over the surface of the pond, 4 inch wide weave gill net. The birds fly through it all of the time. Nothing trapped, even the bigger doves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're building our pond to be something beautiful and enjoyable all year round. I feel like netting it in the fall/winter would spoil that enjoyment.

What that means, I believe, is that I will have leaf debris—and a lot of it—to manage. No trees close by right now, but I'm going to plant some.

I wonder if the reason so many folks net their pond for fall/winter is because they also shut down the pumps and, therefore, no skimmer?

My plan to avoid having to net the pond is:

1. Don't turn off the pumps. I will plan to have a current in the pond, running towards the skimmer all year round.
2. Redirect the waterfalls. I will plumb my streams/waterfalls in a way where I can shut off the falls and redirect the water directly into the pond to act like big jets. That way, no risk of losing water to overflows from ice, but still keeping the water moving.
3. Negative edge skimmer. Once debris is out of the pond, it can't get back in. And the collection area is massive, so no need to tend to it constantly.

Is this enough? Anything I'm missing that would make the no-net plan stronger?
I net my pond simly to stop the large Heron's that I get regular visits from scoffing all my fish they are very determined buggers especially if they have joung to feed. Mines a small whole black net pulled tight on a frame so it doesn't really effect lthe viewing & watching my fish. At least I can rest and sleep without constantly watching my fish from the window. My babies are safe thats why I use a net there not that ugly if you fit them properly

Ask a Question