In desperate help. Fish wont survive In my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
if all your test show good then it has to be something your not testing, are you 100% certain the TPO lining is fish safe
maybe your liner is releasing something toxic that the test can't read

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
According to what I read the roof liner is not fish safe.

Experiment. Buy some goldfish, put them in some holding tank with you pond plants, and pump the way you have in pond. I'm betting they will thrive in the tank. Put water from pond only in tank. Doesn't have to be fancy, a cooler a plastic container will work. My emergency tank is my lawn cart lol.

If the fish live a few weeks, eat and thrive, it's the liner. Don't use feeders for this experiment, they are prone to die anyway

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Okay so its not he pump anymore, and your test are acceptable.
One thing that can cause an over night kill is PH crash. PH can read differently in night and in the morning, in deep in shallow
But they will die slowly and the first signs, they will do nothing but sit there and in most cases, no all will die some will live
Amonia can also kill off a pond, but your numbers are good you say.
Also, ITS HOT these days. Taking the first out of conditioned water and putting them in very hot water will kill them.
The only other thing I can think of, someone is poisoning your pond.

I went back and re-read, I think your problem, since every other parameter was covered, is the roof liner, heres an clip I found in an article explaining why you should use it

Another difference between roofing liner and pond liner is that roofing liner is treated with antibacterial compounds and the pond liner is not. The roofing liner has the treatments necessary to keep fungi and other pollutants from growing on the roof surface breaking the liner down prematurely whereas the pond liner needs to promote bacterial growth as a benefit to the pond.

You need to take that stuff out, re-line with a proper liner, and I bet the fish live
I use roofing liner, but mine is EPDM, hers is PVC. I have my pond for a year now, a few fish dissapeared, but i think it's more from bird ;)

When i installed mine, i had to rinse and scrubbed the talc out but I only got a lot out, still have some on the liner.

I think you should try adding air pump. From the picture, only a little water come out of the waterfall so I think you should add that.

Try draining the pond and refill. This time, add de-chlorine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I use roofing liner, but mine is EPDM, hers is PVC. I have my pond for a year now, a few fish dissapeared, but i think it's more from bird ;)

When i installed mine, i had to rinse and scrubbed the talc out but I only got a lot out, still have some on the liner.

I think you should try adding air pump. From the pictu. , only a little water come out of the waterfall so I think you should add that.

Try draining the pond and refill. This time, add de-chlorine.
Áctuály roofing liner is ùnsafe , risky , there composition can have toxic ingrediants, it can b toxic free too , u need to be sure ,but all are not safe for fishes
it Starts to disolve in water after few months or years eventualy effecting fissh, when i bought my new liner , the dealer told me this , they had many types of membranes and all were not toxic free , i had to call manufacturer , there technical staff to confirm which one is safe for fishes

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
To avoid confusion and overload, let's encourage @Lindsaykay to focus on one issue at a time.

There is still the electrical issue that hasn't been 100% ruled out -- I think someone suggested a problem with faulty GFCI. IMO, that needs to be totally eliminated as a source of the problem before we tell her to go so far as to yank out her liner. Sounds like the liner could be an issue, but there are other things to consider first.

And she has yet to give us numbers for the water tests, so we can't say, from our point of view, that her water is testing OK.

Lindsaykay

Determined
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b troutdale
Country
United States
To avoid confusion and overload, let's encourage @Lindsaykay to focus on one issue at a time.

There is still the electrical issue that hasn't been 100% ruled out -- I think someone suggested a problem with faulty GFCI. IMO, that needs to be totally eliminated as a source of the problem before we tell her to go so far as to yank out her liner. Sounds like the liner could be an issue, but there are other things to consider first.

And she has yet to give us numbers for the water tests, so we can't say, from our point of view, that her water is testing OK.
The pump was replaced immediately and they died a few days later

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I still think it's the material used to make the pond. A faulty gfi would trip itself over and over. But yes def. Get outlet fixed, then move on to the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ouch im not on here to get snapped at dude

Stick with us @Lindsaykay - this is generally a friendly, helpful group! It can be hard to convey emotion in writing, but rhe intent here is always to help resolve issues.

So where are we at? Pump / electrical issues have been resolved. But I would put rule out electrocution as the cause - maybe they were affected but it took a few days for them to die? Goldfish are generally so hardy - I'd have to guess that or something toxic in the pond itself?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Stick with us @Lindsaykay - this is generally a friendly, helpful group! It can be hard to convey emotion in writing, but rhe intent here is always to help resolve issues.
Yes, @Lindsaykay, [ and "@" to everyone who comes here with a problem, asking for help..... ]. Please don't get frustrated with our questions.....give us a chance to help. Through experience here, we have learned that the main cause of pond "disasters" relates directly to water quality issues. Most of the people who come to us for help are pond-newbies. They have very limited experience and knowledge, and in a lot of cases they have already been given incorrect or questionable advice. And [believe it or not] a lot of people who post have "tunnel vision" regarding their problem which puts them in denial so they aren't willing to accept our help [or we get tunnel vision when we only see one point of view, when there could be alternate possibities to consider]. So, the obstacles and challenges for us, GPF members, are:
  1. To get as much accurate information as possible about your pond -- and we ask and repeat questions because we know things to look for that might not seem important to you [universal "you"]. And we're not there -- you are.
  2. to decipher the information; cull the relevant info from the non-relevant info (then follow a somewhat "scientific method" approach to interpret and draw conclusions)
  3. To overcome "tunnel vision" and bias [yours and/or ours]
  4. To offer ways to reverse whatever the problem was [based on #'s 1 & 2] so you can save your fish
  5. To encourage the new member to learn as much as possible about pond care and fish-keeping [but this can ONLY happen once they get past #3]. We love our hobby :love:, and, well, basically, that's our goal for YOU, as well!
And by helping you, WE, the GPF members learn and grow. Because even though the root of the "problem" is usually caused by inexperience and lack of knowledge, every situation, every pond is different -- there isn't a cookie-cutter approach. Which leads back to #1 above.

We also learn a lot from helping the not-so-newbies who join. These are the knowledgeable and experienced folks who pop up with that odd situation that is rarely dealt with. In pond/fish-keeping you are always learning :bookworm:, and we learn so much from each other!!!

There are people (not you) who are in this hobby for the wrong reasons and have no regard for the lives of their fish -- YES, we really do see that! Well, there is nothing we can do for them..... :( except hope that they find a new hobby! VERY, VERY frustrating for us :mad:, which might unintentionally cause us to come across as rude or uncaring :(.

Lindsaykay

Determined
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b troutdale
Country
United States

So where are we at? Pump / electrical issues have been resolved. But I would put rule out electrocution as the cause - maybe they were affected but it took a few days for them to die? Goldfish are generally so hardy - I'd have to guess that or something toxic in the pond itself?

Im worried it may be the material. Can you test your water for bad chemicals before we start all over?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lindsaykay I just did a Google search but couldn't find anything to specifically test for the chemicals found in liners. There are kits you can get to test for metals, and there were a few companies that offer "comprehensive" testing -- at $99 and up. Places like Home Depot offer home water tests, but don't know if they'll check pond water -- and they say it's free, but they're trying to get you to buy something. Worth a try, though. They don't have to know "where" it came from....

But I would still like to see you get a kit to test your ammonia (etc.) levels. Do that first.

Ask a Question