In ground and above ground on my patio?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You need to sit in a chair on the patio and decide how high the pond can be without losing the view of the water.
Then think about where you could put your filters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I may build a small platform next to the pond depending on the design, which would raise up the viewing height. I'd like to go 30", don't want it too shallow.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think I decided to build this completely on the patio on the sunnier side. That way I have room to work, less debris from trees overhead, more central to entertaining area and more sun for plants and I should be able to build it with access from all sides.

I modeled out my yard last night so I can play with some design ideas to see how they fit/look.

I have a few questions though.

I am planning on using a liner with either a stone/wood frame. I'd like to have a bog as well as shelves inside for more vegetation. How do you build shelves in a raised pond? Any recommendations for stone or wood? I like the look of stone but wood seems like I'd have a little more freedom in the shape.

ldv5Kuc.png

No deeper than you are going to be I would just use something like a bucket to set plants on just we're you want to grow them
You could cut a tunnel in them for the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Thanks.

I'd like to build something like this. This model is 10x8 with a 5x2 bog. The box on the right would be where I hide a skimmer. The 5' side of the bog would have a spillway back into the main pond.

I think I've decided to go with a wood frame but am struggling with the correct method to build it. I really don't want to use sleepers or timbers. I also don't know what heights I can manage with a frame. My preference is 30" but I could live with 24" if I can't figure it out structurally. 30" would make the pond roughly 1100 gallons and 24" would be about 875 gallons; without accounting for the area the frame takes away. Do you have any advice on how to build a wooden frame?

NMT5Itg.png

Ask a Question