In theory it might work...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Leaves have already started to fall here. I had a spare pop-up canopy so I decided to use it to place a net above the pond & bog. I had some lightweight bird net and it fit just about right over the lowered frame. I've ordered more so I'll be able to block off the two exposed sides. I'm not expecting any blustery winds or snows to ruin it and I'm only planning on leaving it up until the leaves have finished falling. Fingers crossed that it works. If not, out comes the shadecloth panels. Wish me luck we have a lot of leaves on the way...:rolleyes:
20220901_112436.jpg
20220901_112517.jpg
20220901_170526.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This seems like a smart solution! If you wanted to help it stay down in wind, you could tie it to some stakes in the ground. Our neighbor has a similar temporary carport/canopy. He is using many re-purposed milk jugs filled with water, tied to the top of the posts. It is working well so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good suggestions, thanks. I have the adjacent popup that has heavy sandbags on it, I can lash the legs together. I don't see it being very vulnerable to the wind though since the net is so porous.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Genius! We had our pond netted last year for the first - and last - time. What I feared would happen did - the leaves got wet and heavy and the net sagged and lay in the water all winter. Your solution makes much more sense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I purposely place a section of net at the base of two of my waterfalls and pull the net up and out removing the days catch of leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Genius! We had our pond netted last year for the first - and last - time. What I feared would happen did - the leaves got wet and heavy and the net sagged and lay in the water all winter. Your solution makes much more sense.
I love your confidence! I hope you're right. I want to avoid wet leaves as much as possible too but I was a bit concerned about the birds. The net is small and I have motion lights in case the owls stop by. I think a Cardinal bounced off of it last night at dusk when they stopped by for a drink. For now, the sides are still loose and open so they can get in and out - hopefully they'll all navigate it safely. I have cameras on the bog and the pond so that if anyone were stuck I would get an alert and my dogs have strict instructions to not eat any. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love our wide weave net that allows birds to enter and drink and bathe in the waterfall. We use the for predator protection.

Once leaves start falling we switch to our fine mesh one and I always feel so bad for the birds :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love our wide weave net that allows birds to enter and drink and bathe in the waterfall. We use the for predator protection.

Once leaves start falling we switch to our fine mesh one and I always feel so bad for the birds :(
I understand your concern, I'm an avid birder and would not want to harm any of them. I'm keeping a close eye out.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
That's a cool idea! Maybe you can keep the sides open to allow birds and other critters in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's a cool idea! Maybe you can keep the sides open to allow birds and other critters in.
Thanks but I went ahead and enclosed the sides too because the leaves surely would have noticed if I hadn't My neighbor has food and water out so no worries there. My dogs quickly discovered that they could still drink from the bog so life is good.

Attachments

• 20220904_162937~2.jpg
    20220904_162937~2.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 8

Ask a Question