In Trouble with Excavation

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Is that bender board that he is using? That will eventually rot! Then he will have trouble with the rebar damaging the liner especially on the waterfall.
It's just some thin plywood, not even marine grade. He can only hope our rocky/hard clay "soil" will hold, but in spring thaw that clay becomes near liquid.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I turn the tables around and start asking her for advice on how to do it, I then ask her if she'd mind drawing up a couple of sketches, etc. By the time I get around to handing her a Skil saw, a shovel or a hammer, she's already back inside.

Works every time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hi ,

I started another thread because i have utterly different questions. These are real urgent. Because tomorrow this excavation has to be done.

Today i started the excavation but i got lots of troubles. We are using an excavator so we can't go into little details. You can't dig a 10 inch hole with a shovel in this surface.

Question 1 : Look at the pond plan i drew. As you see the deep spot requires significantly higher amount of EPDM in length. Do you think i am in trouble? This is not my pond plan. I exaggerated a bit.
5a01nc.jpg

Question 2 : See the pictures. Rocks are everywhere. And no way to just collect them by hand. Do you think i will be OK with a thick geotextile or do i need more than this?

145lpz.jpg

51d2tg.jpg

Question 3 : As you see it is all rocks and sometimes i see a rock with fractures which might tend to fall. Actually they are everywhere. Do you think it might be a problem after the water is filled?

Question 4: Do i need to compact soil? How important is it? I can't find a non electric compactor anywhere. Anything else i can use? Maybe i should get a rock and start punching the soil.

Question 5 : Guys on some edges where there is no perimeter, i have very sharp fall downs. It is 9 ft deep right away. Is it dangerous in any ways?

Thanks.
Hi welcome , i cant even understand 1# plan , if u add depth , uil def lose width length is this ur asking?
2# ithink uil need to smoothen gaps by soft soil then use somethink thick in between , if u leave gaps inbetween rocks , linner will hv alot of pressure of tons it will try to go in between and torn ,so at least smooth surface and cover sharp rocks with sand or soil for tht uil need gradual slight slope
5# think these are yellow hill clay rocks , they are not that solid but they are very hard as dry im sure it wil hold , but we have these too they break dissolve after some time or in rain ,ihv few around pond and they become brittle starts dissolving if moisture reaches it , uil def need cement or bricks for border and deep 2 feet or have slight slope , only issue is 1feet top border , below , water pressure will hold and they will b safe from climate
3# water pressure will hold lose rocks
4# not much but just enuf to level plain, just will b needed to smoothen sharp rocks

Last edited:

Ask a Question