In Western Washington, what are my fish options?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 2 Shubunkins and 10 koi in my pond, they do well together!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
the key for koi and goldfish is the temperature of the water in winter. koi can handle water down to 35 degrees in winter. goldfish need a slightly higher minimum temperature and are thusly less hardy in cold climates. some folks put yellow catfish in their ponds and high fin sharks. im not sure about their cold hardiness. if your pond freezes over, the bottom temperature will remain higher than 34 degrees due to the physics and its best not to draw bottom water to keep the temperature stable. if there is an air gap between the ice layer and water level, there can still be oxygen exchange, but i'm not familiar with that issue since our pond never freezes over.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Goldfish can survive lower water temps than koi. In fact, they can actually survive being frozen in ice for short periods of time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Goldfish can survive lower water temps than koi. In fact, they can actually survive being frozen in ice for short periods of time.

I've heard this one both ways, so I'm not sure which is correct, if either. All I know is both do fine here in Chicago where the temps get plenty cold and ponds freeze over and stay that way for months on end. One of these days I'm going to get a thermometer that I can monitor from indoors to keep track of my pond temperature over the winter, just for fun.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've heard this one both ways, so I'm not sure which is correct, if either. All I know is both do fine here in Chicago where the temps get plenty cold and ponds freeze over and stay that way for months on end. One of these days I'm going to get a thermometer that I can monitor from indoors to keep track of my pond temperature over the winter, just for fun.

I have heard it both ways as well. I fall on the side of goldfish surviving colder, since MitchM posted a scientific article last year that showed goldfish could survive frozen in ice, which koi can not. I agree either way my koi and goldfish do fine, under the ice in my ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I kind of fall into the camp that they are basically cousins - probably each as hardy as the other.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like goldfish/shubunkins, you can turn the pond on and ignore them. They do just fine. Totally non fussy fish.

Ask a Question