In Western Washington, what are my fish options?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking ahead to getting some fish in the next couple of weeks, and wondering, for western Washington climate, what are some fish I can put in my pond?

I definitely want a few koi, but didn't know if I could have mollies/platy's etc as well. I'm guessing they will need a warmer year round water temperature to survive, so what other options do I have up here?

2500 gallon pond, 42-46" deepest depth, and overall size of about 15'x12' or so.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you not wanting goldfish (comets, Shubunkin, fantails, etc)? With 2500 gallons you’re looking at a max of maybe 2 koi, but then nothing else added to that. I don’t know about mollies, etc. as I have always thought of them as aquarium fish. I think that @j.w lives out in your area. Maybe she can advise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well it’s closer to 3000 gallons and from what I’ve read I should be able to have certainly more than 2 koi, no?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Craigbomb, Yes with 2500-3000 gallons, more than 2 koi is possible but it will depend on your filtration. An 8" koi can be 24" by next year and can end up 36"! I have had koi for over 20 years and have learned the hard way about overstocking. How much work do you want to do to maintain your pond? I currently have 7 adult koi in one pond, 10x10x5.5. 11 window boxes planted out that act as mini bogs, 150gallon skippy filter& Savio waterfall filter. Water crystal clear but not until 2 weeks ago. Start slow, get a couple of fish. That way next year you can shop and find that koi that you just can't do without!

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you are willing to pull them inside before winter, you could try non hardy fish in your pond. Try wild sailfin mollies, poecilia latipinna...they are hardy to 36 degrees Fahrenheit and would have a longer season outside. Now that I think of it...they might be hardy year round in your climate, but they only grow to six inches and could be swallowed by a large koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Craigbomb, Yes with 2500-3000 gallons, more than 2 koi is possible but it will depend on your filtration. An 8" koi can be 24" by next year and can end up 36"! I have had koi for over 20 years and have learned the hard way about overstocking. How much work do you want to do to maintain your pond? I currently have 7 adult koi in one pond, 10x10x5.5. 11 window boxes planted out that act as mini bogs, 150gallon skippy filter& Savio waterfall filter. Water crystal clear but not until 2 weeks ago. Start slow, get a couple of fish. That way next year you can shop and find that koi that you just can't do without!

Thank you! I have skimmer set up with filters as well as a 20” spillway waterfall with filter and bio balls.

Attachments

• CD21C665-19D9-4EF5-AA19-B366CF21ACCF.jpeg
    CD21C665-19D9-4EF5-AA19-B366CF21ACCF.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 1CA1E36C-0625-44E2-B9F8-8678A774EAD3.jpeg
    1CA1E36C-0625-44E2-B9F8-8678A774EAD3.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 405
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you are willing to pull them inside before winter, you could try non hardy fish in your pond. Try wild sailfin mollies, poecilia latipinna...they are hardy to 36 degrees Fahrenheit and would have a longer season outside. Now that I think of it...they might be hardy year round in your climate, but they only grow to six inches and could be swallowed by a large koi.

I actually tried to get some mollies but was told they are “aquarium only” fish, since I’m assuming need a heater to keep water temp consistent? I’m certainly no fish expert.

I’d like to have both koi and some smaller fish but sounds like it may be one or the other. After the two months we’ve spent building this I’m not sure my wife would accept “no koi” as an answer. Lol.

Attachments

• A7FCAD55-63B5-42A6-9BE1-200C5F1BAC62.jpeg
    A7FCAD55-63B5-42A6-9BE1-200C5F1BAC62.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 309
  • B98C1C27-36B5-448F-873F-34FE511D0915.jpeg
    B98C1C27-36B5-448F-873F-34FE511D0915.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 329
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pond is 1700 gallons and I have 4 koi. I've increased filtration and aeration over the years, as my koi grew. I would suggest starting slowly, especially for your first season....you can always add more next year :)

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wild type poecilia latipinna are not the same as the pet store mollies - they are much more cold hardy. It may take some work to find them (sach's systems aquaculture carries them) but they're worth a shot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Koi and goldfish are the favorites for a reason - they are hardy, colorful, and friendly. I'd stick to the tried and true if it were me. And once you decide how many fish your pond can reasonably support - add less.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All I have is goldfish, no koi or Mollies etc. My pond is around 2500 gals give or take. I have about 50 to 100 fish in there, they won't sit still for me to count. I should have less then I do but they multiplied themselves. Most are not that big yet. I said Yet! If they all get big some will eventually have to go to new homes somewhere someday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@craigbomb Koi are nice but get VERY BIG (as I'm sure you're aware) and you can't have as many of them if you don't want to constantly battle water quality issues. If you go by the 1000 gallon for first Koi and 500 for every Koi after that you could have 4 Koi in your pond, assuming it's 2500 gallons. BUT if you do Shubunkins which are very colorful and interesting looking as far as goldfish are concerned you could do 25 fish at 100 gallons per fish, or 50 fish at 50 gallons per fish, etc. In addition to Shubunkins, Sarasas are very interesting and would add some variety to your pond. If you're looking for smaller fish to add to the mix you could always toss in some rosy red minnows which are pretty hardy. As others have mentioned a lot of this depends on your filtration and how much effort you're wanting to put into maintenance and whatever you decide to do start slow and only add a few fish at at time.

IMG_4706.JPG

THIS is a great example of the variety you can get with goldfish @addy1 has Shubunkins, Sarasas, and regular old Common/Comet goldfish and they are absolutely gorgeous! (sorry for stealing your photo addy! ;))

Last edited:

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you wanted smaller fish, you could always set up a smaller water garden (perhaps in a large pot or watering trough) on your property away from the koi...that would also make fall/wintertime removal easier if they are not hardy in your zone. I am doing that currently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone!

So it’s mix shubunkin goldfish and a couple f koi in same pond then right? Thinking that’ll be the way we end up going if so .

Ask a Question