Information on lotus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sissy this same seller is selling 50 lotus seeds of another color. I know this may be a silly question but what would I ever do with 50? It would cost a fortune just in pots.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I gave some of my seeds away and growing some to give away .But 50 well that is a tad many ;)I know at one point she had mixed seeds of lotus .But there other sellers .I trust her because I have bought other seeds from her .You may be able to sell some of the seeds on here also.I am going to grow mine in a preformed pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hi, I grew some lotus from seeds, but timing was bad, planted them back in month of Sept, grew well with atleast five leaf, then suddenly some small brown spot appeared , at first I though it was normal aging process, I was wrong, same happened to all and entire plant died.

I am again trying to grow from seeds, planted this jan, I guess winter was hard onpprevious one.

Good thing about lotus seeds is that you can keep it for eternity if stored in dry place.:)

It has given three leaf, let's see what happens.

pixlr_20161022190608413.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thank you Sissy. I missed out on the seeds from the seller you recommended (thought about it too long) - BUT I did order some from another seller that had a great rating. Thanks for all your help - I am SO excited to give them a go. I think I will plant some in a stock tank and on another blog I read it was recommended to dig a hole next to the pond and lower the pot into the hole rather than putting it into the pond itself. I hope to have beautiful lotus pictures to post later this year. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am pretty sure I'm going to develop a Lotus Problem. I just ordered a tuber online and know where it will go in my pond. Pond doesn't even have water in it yet!!!!!!
I'm also thinking -- what if I did another dedicated lotus pot/pond and grew some of the big ones next to my pond?
One thing at a time!!!!!!! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why I have a freeformend pond .I will keep the lily in the lily pond and lotus will go in the preformed pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That is why I have a freeformend pond .I will keep the lily in the lily pond and lotus will go in the preformed pond
I love this idea, especially if you want to try a big, crazy lotus that might be too big for the main pond. My fear with that was stinky, stagnant water. Or will your freeform lotus pond have a filtration system also? I was already looking up kits for little ponds, then told myself STOP!!!!! Ha ha ha! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can always flush a tub if some excessive pollution occurs, a change of fresh water is always going to help replicate the steady flow of fertility and trace minerals, a lotus likes a steady supply of the good stuff. About two cubic inches of a well balanced fertiliser is plenty nuff to keep them growing strong when growing conditions are good

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For some reason even in my lily pond water is mostly clear .I use a combo of kitty litter, zeolite and crushed oyster shells to plant in .I think it may help and lily pond does get an air stone in it .I use miracle grow sticks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
recommended to dig a hole next to the pond

Wouldn't the lotus try to penetrate through the soil and reach the main pond, Its always preferred to pot lily /lotus into a pot then submerge it into pond so that you can pull it up during winter (if you live in colder part of world) or replanting (adding fertilizer/ dividing) after few months.

I could never try that as I have a small concrete tank for lotus and lily and region where I live is hot throughout the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would pot it first and then lower the pot into the hole. The advantage this poster mentioned was ease of fertilizing. I also wouldn't have to worry about finding a shelf that wasn't too deep for the lotus. And then I would sink the pot down to the bottom of the pond before winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't sink mine, but the tubers are low enough to not freeze over winter. About 18 inches deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Addy1 and Sissy thank you SO MUCH for all your help. I am now the proud owner of 15 germinated lotus seeds (5 pink, 5 sapphires, and 5 purple). My pink seeds are right at 6” tall. I am getting ready to put them in clay soil and I want to get some advice before I try and do this crucial step. I have some great lotus pans but they are currently in the bottom of my VERY cold pond with my over wintering lily tubers in them. Can I plant the seedlings in a temporary pot (Dollar Store garbage cans maybe) until I can transfer them to my good pots or am I borrowing trouble? Thanks again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They don't like to be moved once they are growing. The tubers are fragile. It would be best to put them in a pot they can stay in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lotus runners and their growing tips are extremely fragile, which is why in their growing season, its usually not practical to transplant them, unless you are organised to handle their fragile growing habit

lotus_6runners8.jpg

Ask a Question