Information on lotus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey gang! I am just building my pond. Thanks to a great person, I have some plants in a tub that I'm going to put in when it's done. But I am thinking ahead to spring and wondering about some other plants. I really like the look of lotus. I am in the northern half of Ga -- my pond site will have lots of sun and our temps here are warm for most of the year.

Do any of you have lotus? Opinions on them? Tips for growing?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy does and I had 2 tubers but I babied them and they died .The guy I got them from neglected them badly .I will get more from him and neglect them .He was in NC .They have lots of video's on you tube

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ooooo. Phooey. I just read that they hate heavy humidity. That's all we have here.

Reaction score
Hate humidity? Some come from Asia where it's really humid.

I grow them ok in DC with less than full sun. I got some from Lilypons which is close by. The others are from Ten Mile Creek.

The problems I hear from other people is that their plants freeze in the winter; lower the pots to the bottom when over wintering. Be sure to have them close to the surface in the spring and feed heavily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hate humidity? Some come from Asia where it's really humid.

I grow them ok in DC with less than full sun. I got some from Lilypons which is close by. The others are from Ten Mile Creek.

The problems I hear from other people is that their plants freeze in the winter; lower the pots to the bottom when over wintering. Be sure to have them close to the surface in the spring and feed heavily.
Well, good!!!!!!!! Maybe that information was just for a specific kind? I think they are gorgeous!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is really humid here and they grow ..Going to get another one .I talked to the guy yesterday

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are really humid here, and hot and miserable, and freeze. The lotus do fine. They are in a 300 gallon stock tank, there is around a foot of kitty litter dumped in the tank. The top of the litter is around 16 inches below surface. The tubers are somewhere in the litter. I do not lower them, feed them do anything except cut the dead leaves off in the fall. That pond is never cleaned, it is fed dirty water from the big pond. No fish unless they float in via the tubing, via eggs, tiny fry.
It does STINK if you ever do move the kitty litter around. But the lotus love it! and the anacharis and the hornwort, frogs, toads, etc etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It is really humid here and they grow ..Going to get another one .I talked to the guy yesterday
Sissy -- do you have a variety you really like? I want one that has big leaves and is tall!!!!! I want it to be my drama plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We are really humid here, and hot and miserable, and freeze. The lotus do fine. They are in a 300 gallon stock tank, there is around a foot of kitty litter dumped in the tank. The top of the litter is around 16 inches below surface. The tubers are somewhere in the litter. I do not lower them, feed them do anything except cut the dead leaves off in the fall. That pond is never cleaned, it is fed dirty water from the big pond. No fish unless they float in via the tubing, via eggs, tiny fry.
It does STINK if you ever do move the kitty litter around. But the lotus love it! and the anacharis and the hornwort, frogs, toads, etc etc.
Addy -- are your lotus always growing outside the pond? Are any in the pond? I want to order one that is tall and has very large leaves. I know I'll have to select based on my zone. But I thought I would put them on the back side of the pond where I want a bit of a screen. They look so cool!!!! I read that I shouldn't plant right in the pond, since they can get kind of crazy.
My next purchase will be some pond planting pots. I saw some cool flexible ones online, but they were sold out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy -- are your lotus always growing outside the pond?
They are growing in a pond, but not in the big pond. They are in their own little 300 gallon pond. Fishless, except when a egg wanders in. There is a constant flow of water in and out of that pond, via a small flow from the pump. I have a T that sends water down a garden hose which water falls into the lotus tank. There are three small ponds that get this small flow from the big ponds pump. These ponds are full of plants. The bees, frogs, toads etc love the plants. They end up full of tads.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The seeds I got on ebay were the pink peace one and the ones the guy has growing in NC ,I have no idea .But these seeds are growing great that I got on ebay .They are in my kitchen window and were 4.95 from istanbul-le on ebay and free shipping from California .

Ask a Question