Information on lotus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thank you for your advice. I got in my pond today (not as COLD as I had imagined) and got the right pots. I'm very glad I asked first. I'll get kitty litter tomorrow and get them planted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Can I use the Wal-Mart oil pans for my lotus? I have 14 sprouting and I can't really afford that many expensive lotus pots. If not do you know of a cheaper option?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had mine in walmart tubs, a few in oil pans, they escaped the oil pans, ie jumped the pot.
They do best in deeper pans then the oil pans.

Mine are now free growing in a 300 gallon stock tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
pot.jpg ( I cannot get it to rotate - sorry). Addy1 will this work for my lotus? It is about 11.5" deep. Or should I cut the top off so that it isn't so deep. Thank you.

Reaction score
View attachment 98193 ( I cannot get it to rotate - sorry). Addy1 will this work for my lotus? It is about 11.5" deep. Or should I cut the top off so that it isn't so deep. Thank you.

What type of tub is this? I'm having trouble finding a medium sized tub.

As for if it's too deep, if you are not submersing this in to a pond, this should be ok. If you are submersing it in to a pond, another option would be to plant near the surface of the tub; maybe use a lot of kitty litter or turface for the bottom half so it's not too heavy so you can move the tub around if needed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 98193 ( I cannot get it to rotate - sorry). Addy1 will this work for my lotus? It is about 11.5" deep. Or should I cut the top off so that it isn't so deep. Thank you.
If it was mine for a lotus and if your pond is deep enough to have it covered with water. I would not cut it. Fill it about 1/2 way with kitty litter. They love to jump the pot and wander around the pond.

The lotus tubers are somewhere in the litter, so from 18 inches to 2.5 feet under the pond surface.

My lotus tub is 2.5 feet deep the litter is around 18 inches deep more or less. I have it in the pond loop i.e. water flows in and flows out from the big pond.

I had a lotus in a pot in the big pond, but with my sloping bottom it kept tipping over was a pain, so made a separate pond for the lotus out of a stock tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I just starting my lotus, from seed, today. I'm thinking of planting them in some type of tub, so they can get sun. When can we put them outside in tubs, temperature wise?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What type of tub is this? I'm having trouble finding a medium sized tub.

As for if it's too deep, if you are not submersing this in to a pond, this should be ok. If you are submersing it in to a pond, another option would be to plant near the surface of the tub; maybe use a lot of kitty litter or turface for the bottom half so it's not too heavy so you can move the tub around if needed.
Linus_Cello - this is the WRONG type of tub. They came in a set of 5 (from Amazon I think) and were fairly inexpensive BUT have holes in the bottom - I thought I could glue some pond liner over the holes and make them water tight. So far it has been nothing but a hassle. I finally went to Webb's Online and bought what I should have the first time.

Reaction score
Linus_Cello - this is the WRONG type of tub. They came in a set of 5 (from Amazon I think) and were fairly inexpensive BUT have holes in the bottom - I thought I could glue some pond liner over the holes and make them water tight. So far it has been nothing but a hassle. I finally went to Webb's Online and bought what I should have the first time.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Maybe you could put landscape fabric on the bottom? It won't be water tight, but you don't have to worry about soil leaching out.

Ask a Question