installing outside electricity/ filter/pump cables/pipes?

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
LOL, got to tingling pretty good! :alieneyesa: I've cut corners and after working offshore for 15 years safety is drilled into your brain. I got injured out there and it wasn't because of a short cut but it makes me think everyday about what I could have done to prevent it. I've told others on here, sometimes I post not just to the one person that I made the post to but for everyone to benefit from. Not saying you would take short cuts. Some places have strict codes some have lax, Just saying to everyone when it comes to water and electricity, :lamp5: think about your safety, :lamp5:

words of wisdom :D the last time i got shocked with electricity was in the crotch, 3 times, by an electric fense. and i ripped my leg open on the barb wire when i jumped. didnt realise it was an electric fense :(

Reaction score
long story short i got cornered by about 30-40 bulls. it was either get tramped/charged by them on climb over the fense

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, Well I hope it didn't do any permanent damage!:lamp5: That would be quite worse than being tingled I guarantee!

Reaction score
I'd recommend electrical PVC conduit. The gray kind, it is rated for ground contact so it doesn't get brittle under ground.

The wire you want to run is UF-B or direct burial. Do not use normal house Romex wire. The individual wires are only separated by paper and can short if they get to much moisture around them. It's usually covered in a gray plastic covering. But it is very expensive. And will be the highest cost of the wiring project.

Use GFCI outlets and weather covers. Place it 12-18" down. Local codes may be more if the frost line is lower. Call a survey person if you don't know were your existing lines are.

Think ahead! Think of how many outlets you will need and what you might be running. I chose to run 2 lines that were on different breakers. That way if for some reason one tripped I still had one pump running to keep the pond oxygenated. Also if you run a heater or a bunch of other things like air pumps or lights, then you might need to upgrade the wire gauge to keep it from heating up to much and causing a trip. And on long wire runs. It might be nessisary to upgrade the gauge to keep the right voltages.

Good luck and be safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Hmm the talk about GFIs reminds me, I need to rewire mine one of these days. I've noticed that with the pumps plugged into the first GFI in the line, if I plug a third pump into the next GFI, it trips all the GFI breakers down the line (I have three GFI outlets, all wired from one to the next). I must have it wired so the GFI protects all the outlets behind it, but I need it wired so each GFI protects itself and nothing else.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Luke said:
long story short i got cornered by about 30-40 bulls. it was either get tramped/charged by them on climb over the fense

Owie! I can just imagine, I leaned over a electric fence, barefoot, wet grass, bare belly............ I feel you pain luke!

That is neat your government encourages pond building. If I had checked I am sure there would have been permits to draw and pay for, but needless to say didn't check.

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
Hmm the talk about GFIs reminds me, I need to rewire mine one of these days. I've noticed that with the pumps plugged into the first GFI in the line, if I plug a third pump into the next GFI, it trips all the GFI breakers down the line (I have three GFI outlets, all wired from one to the next). I must have it wired so the GFI protects all the outlets behind it, but I need it wired so each GFI protects itself and nothing else.

Put in a GFCI, which is what you probably have already. GFI's are single locations and no feed down the line. GFCI should be wired as the first device and then feed normal plugs from the load side of the GFCI.

Sometimes with motors and heaters, a GFCI can be a pain. It will sense the small leakage current from the devices and trip. Motors with a starting capacitor are the worst.

Ask a Question