Intro

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My name is Robert and I look froward to advice and help on this forum. I have had small fish ponds before but I plan to convert our swimming, that came with our newly acquired house, into a fish or koi pond. I live on the Central Coast of California where the temperature averages around 70 year round. We will sometimes get into the 90s in the summer and down to the low 60s in winter (daytime temps) but nothing too extreme.
Again, I look forward to the expert advice that I will be seeking as I embark on this adventure.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
SingingSanta_Welcome.gif
Robert

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and how large is the pool as koi get very big and are fussy about water quality .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif

To our group!

Converting a pool can be done, the pool filter won't work as a pond filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The pool is about 9,500 gallons. I will be replacing the filter system with a biological one. My main concern is the pool it self. I really don't want to look into the pond and see blue walls. However, I don't really want to drain the pool, color the walls and refill it. Water is rather expensive where I live. Will the walls eventually develop a more natural look as growth of aquatic plants and algae begin?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am not sure about the pool chemicals or was it a saline pool .Muck will grow on the liner but it does look pretty with the blue for awhile

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It should all turn green from algae up to the water level and only the blue above that will show eventually. Putting plants that hang down over the edge into the water should hide that tho. Creeping Jenny is a fast growing one that is pretty w/ little yellow flowers :blueflower:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Attached is the pool that I'm going to convert. It is about 10,000 gallons. The jacuzzi at the other end will become a plant bog. Big project so I'm gonna rely on all of your expertise for it!! :)

Attachments

• Pool to Pond Project (2).jpg
    Pool to Pond Project (2).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 267

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a perfect shape and place for a pond and you can fix that up really nice! Wow and you can fill that bog w/ plants and it will be a good filter
xmassmiley16.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! :beerchug:

The pond sides should eventually get a nice coating of algae. You might want to consider just lowering the water level maybe 6 inches or so and then applying one of the pond paints to the surface. You can paint the top section black. Once dry, top off the pond. With the addition of some plants, it should look fine.

Craig

Reaction score
Welcome to the group... a bit worried that you dont want to drain the pool? Never wanted a swimming pool (live near several beaches), but thought they were always treated with chlorine to keep the water clear/clean and prevent algae growth???

Ask a Question