intro

Reaction score
My name is Debra Lynn. I am 55 years old. I live in the mountains of West Virginia. I have pond experience from Florida 12 years ago. My son who still lives in Florida gave me a liner and a sump pump. He knew how much I missed the pond.So on 4/08/2010 I started my pond. I designed it 3 feet deep except for a 2 foot step in on one end. I have a very limited income so I was compromising planning a water fall with a home made Bio tub filter. I had to do most of the work myself. Hauling rock and more ROCK daily. was just ready to add my water when I got a call from a friend who had a pond and a herd of Koi. She was selling her home and the pond was now leaking. Said I could have everything please come to get them She had a large Savio skimmer/filter ,36 inch turbo UV light. Large Pond vac,pond liners,Tons of food and nets ect. I felt thankful and made the 4 hour drive. Helped her break down her pond and readied the Koi for their ride to their new home. I had expected the fish to be about a foot long, But 5 are over 22+inches long . Eight were 12 inches and eight were large gold fish with mature water plants.
May 25th new pond filled 2 days before 166 inches of fish added to 1200 gallons lined pond. I gave away 32 inches of fish. Two weeks later I added small 6x9 pond 18" deep. I filled it with Plants. Water Lettuce,water Lilly,water hyacinth, and parrot feather.

I have worked so hard for the last 3 months to complete the project. I still have one end to landscape. I thought I could rest some what taking my time to finish. But the fish are not doing well. I have been doing 1/3 water changes for 3 days. I will begin calling again Monday trying to find homes for 5 butterfly koi.

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 216

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond looks beautiful. Wish I could help you out with what is wrong with the fish.
Keep your spirit up it will settle down and get straightened out.

You have done a great job with the rocks, it look absolutely natural, like it has always been there.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
You have a nice pond there

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome DebraLynn, I see you made it over here. We have a sickness thread for posting problems. You might want to go there if you have not already and post what you emailed me. There may be other suggestions. In the meantime I am happy to see you here.

Ask a Question