Is Construction Adhesive safe?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if construction adhesive, like Liquid Nails, is pond safe when cured? I need to cement some rocks in place and wanted to use that if possible but I don't know if it is safe. Has anyone ever used it for pond and waterfall construction?

Thanks

Reaction score
I've not heard of Liquid Nails being safe or not, you could call the company to find out. That's what I did with P&L Roofing Sealant and found out it was.

My guess is that LNails isn't because I've never heard any pond builders refer to it as such (pond builders refer to using P&L Roofing Sealant all the time, for example). How big are the rocks you are trying to attach? Sounds like you are looking to use something with some strong grab.

Perhaps someone else can chime in if they know for sure, or recommend something to you.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
I've not heard of Liquid Nails being safe or not, you could call the company to find out. That's what I did with P&L Roofing Sealant and found out it was.

My guess is that LNails isn't because I've never heard any pond builders refer to it as such (pond builders refer to using P&L Roofing Sealant all the time, for example). How big are the rocks you are trying to attach? Sounds like you are looking to use something with some strong grab.

Perhaps someone else can chime in if they know for sure, or recommend something to you.

I don't know if Liquid Nails is pond safe but I'm pretty sure it's not water proof. There is a 1-800 number on the label you can call for specifications. Better yet, I bet you can go to the manufactures website and download a spec sheet regarding its usage relative to moisture.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I didn't even think of roofing sealant - duh. That would be safe with liner and waterproof. I am wanting something to anchor some rocks to keep them from slipping and sliding. Not every rock has to be anchored but some are too loose and may shift with water flow.

Thanks again and check out my Rebuilding Pond thread.

Reaction score
P&L is lesss than $5 bucks. They do sell pond foam at home depot, too, where they have the pumps and such, so try that.

Foam is a filler and isn't going to keep stone anchored. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have used it and can tell you it will not work long term. It does not do well in the elements. I never had a problem with it being toxic with my fish though after cured. I used it for the same thing you mention. To anchor a few top stones in place. I will use the roofing product mentioned here in the future.

Reaction score
After discussing with contractor, we used concrete grout to anchor stones in cascade water course. We will use foam in some areas above waterline to seal cracks where dirt may wash through. Polyurethane landscape adhesive will be used above water line to anchor capstones etc.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
I ended up using brick mortar. You can buy it by the bag at home depot etc. I have heard that you have to check your p.h. because of the lime content in the mix but I didn't see that it had any adverse effect in my water. I wouldn't think twice about using it again.

Ask a Question