addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the idea of putting a cheap liner on top of this one, ie. double lining it. I think that is the easiest solution.
Stick with good liner, when you punch holes in the current liner and your cheap liner fails, you will wish you sprung for a good liner.

This time don't cut the excess off. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Stick with good liner,

Agree agree agree. Whenever I see someone talking about getting cheap liner I cringe. The LAST thing I would skimp on in my pond is the FIRST thing that goes in, because if something goes wrong you'll have to take everything else out to fix it. Now good liner at a cheap price is another story! I'm all for that! But buy good quality liner - if you have to skimp, do it somewhere else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Agree with the posts above. I bought my EPDM roof rubber liner from local lumber yard, by the foot. They deliver for free, and their price was wayyyy cheaper than on-line! The weight of an EPDM liner is heavy, so it has freight charges often for a good sized pond. If you buy "pond liner", it could be the exact same thing, but it will be more expensive because it's marked as something for a pond. Trust me, it's the exact same thing as roof rubber liner! LOL

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put a pond in, 2 years ago. It's ok, but in hindsight I wish I had made the top about 8-10 inches higher than it is as it's slightly lower than the adjacent lawn.

It's got a liner and I have of course cut this to fit. Is it possible to somehow attach more liner to this to make the edge/ top of the pond higher than now or is that a complete rebuild?
I put a pond in, 2 years ago. It's ok, but in hindsight I wish I had made the top about 8-10 inches higher than it is as it's slightly lower than the adjacent lawn.

It's got a liner and I have of course cut this to fit. Is it possible to somehow attach more liner to this to make the edge/ top of the pond higher than now or is that a complete rebuild?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a landscape architect and have a 10x20 water garden for the last 6 years.
Yes I like the idea of just use a second layer of liner over the existing one.
Make sure the grades around the pond edge slope away from the pond so the
runoff would not go into the pond. Allow extra 2' + liner around the edge and then cover it up with gravel and stepping stones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had checked with goodyear and found also that roof liner and pond liners are the same except for the treatment used to keep them from sticking to themselves in storage .Pondliners use baking soda and roof liner s use a chemical .Also roof liners usually only come 10 feet wide and sell by the foot at places like builders discount center

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had one trouble edge, I pulled the liner in, stuffed dirt behind it which made it rise up higher, issue fixed. Made the pond area a bit smaller, but not enough to worry about.
ADDY Has the right idea make the pond a little smaller and fill in behind the liner with new soil thus giving you additional liner to build up.
BUT if it was I and this I did on my pond I put in a drain between my neighbor and I as he fertilizes his lawn it's a 6" perforated pipe with a sock over it and in a bed of 2' of stone. but that is just one of two steps I also plan on having a build up of soil and rock along with plants to slow down the flow alow it to pond on heavy rain events and let the drain do it's thing. You could slimply drape new rubber into your pond make a build up /speed bump sorta speek around the pond if you can shed the water to an area away from the pond . you can see part of the pipe to the right of the photo

Attachments

• 20171228_094104.jpg
    20171228_094104.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 146
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all of your advice. Lots to consider.

My longer term aim is to build a second pond and connect the two. Perhaps that would be the sensible time to tackle this issue fully.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for all of your advice. Lots to consider.

My longer term aim is to build a second pond and connect the two. Perhaps that would be the sensible time to tackle this issue fully.

Oh definitely! Don't mess around with a patch job if you have plans to renovate - just do the whole deal.

Ask a Question