Is it possible to run a filter of a solar panel

Reaction score
The fountain pump im using know isnt really that big it says on the specifications that it does 150 ltrs of water an hour the pond isnt that old its only been up and running about a week if that i completly new to this as i have always had tropical fish

Reaction score
shakaho said:
LOL. For some reason I thought the pond was circular, that's why I calculated the volume wrong.
Hey its all good... You were closer than I was! I realized I was covering the light sensor on a solar calculator and by the time I got to the end of the equation it wasn't registering anymore hahaha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I got 3 solar pumps, that work during sunlight...if you can find solar panel+battery is the best...i bought mine from amazon.
What you mean with system?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone use solar panels to power your turtle set ups?

I live in an area with 350 sunny days per year so solar panels might be the way to go to save some money in the long run. I have no idea how it works, what you need in addition to the panels themselves, how much power I can expect to get out of a system. Any ideas?
Former off gridder here. We used solar and wind. Unless you have serious money to spend and know what you're doing... There's no way to make this work. Great ideas though. Consult with online sites that sell solar.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1640791716725.gif
@directentirely
No clue on the solar panels but you might want to start a new thread by you so you will get more answers and introduce yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok the only other option iv got is buying a two way outdoor plugsocket that has a spike going into the ground with a 5 metre cable see what i can work on from that as there is a utility room more closer to the pond than the house and i can work with that
No offense, but it sounds like you need professional help from the way you are describing things. Electricity is far too dangerous, especially in an outdoor environment.

Please seek a professional.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone use solar panels to power your turtle set ups?

I live in an area with 350 sunny days per year so solar panels might be the way to go to save some money in the long run. I have no idea how it works, what you need in addition to the panels themselves, how much power I can expect to get out of a system. Any ideas?

If you want it to run full time, you will need solar panels, batteries, and either a DC pump or an AC pump and an inverter + all balance of system materials.

Amount of kW power from panels and size of batteries/inverter all depends on your pond. Not really a good solution for running a pond pump unless there is absolutely no way you can get mains power.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a solar panel with pump on one of my ponds and it's set to run 15 minutes every hour so it runs day and night. It's too hard to get power there, would have to dig up 14mts of concrete to do it. The water pumps to a bog filled with plant and the water is crystal clear. My pump is 2000lt per hour but there are bigger and smaller ones. I bought 2 sets at auction for $80 but each set retails at $269 so you may be lucky and hunt for the right price. I do agree that running power would mean a cheaper pump and constant running water though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
First get familiar with Ohms Law. And how to convert HP to Watts. Then determine how much power you need to run your pump/s. Then find out how many solar panels it will take to run your pumps, and how many batteries it will take to run those pumps during periods of reduced/no sunlight. And how many extra panels you will need to charge those batteries, while still running the pumps. I would say yes you can run everything off solar. But at what cost compared to running electricity off the mains.

Ask a Question