is my pump pumping enough and how much through my filter?

Reaction score
Ok so I measured how much water is going through my filter and it was less then I thought. I bought this pump http://www.homedepot.com/Total-Pond...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
but I am really starting to wonder my local pond store was so overpriced and I did not have time for ebay. it only had a 1/4" outlet. So I hooked it up with the pictured setup. 1/4" to 1/2" pvc then 1/2 all the way and 1/2" tubing to the filter. but when I measured the filter output it is only 60 gallons per hour and it looks like less out of the fountain.
my pond is 160 gallons and the filter is about 3.4 gallons 2/3 filled with bio media. so about how much should be going through the filter and would changing the 1/2" tubing to 3/4" help?
2c5814de.jpg

photo-2.jpg

d2ff9aa7.jpg

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
probably dont want to do this but turning off the fountain would mean more water going to the filter at least for now ... that would give you more time to get a bigger pump

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You have all ready doubled your pump out let pipe size.
Going bigger wont help until you get a larger pump
If turning off your fountain can double your filter flow you would be in better off

Reaction score
locally a 350 little giant was 179.00 so I figured I would get a better mg drive pump use this one as backup.
how many gph approx should I bet shooting for through the filter?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would shoot for around 150 gph run through the filter to give it time to work

Reaction score
ok sounds good right now I am getting 120 with all the water going to it. if I got rid of all the fittings and went right to the filter that will help. or just get a better pump of course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Just for comparison, I've been looking at a Laguna 2900gph submersible on Amazon for that same price. Shop around a lot more, find out what brands are recommended, because better deals are out there. You certainly want more flow than what you're getting, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune to get it.

Reaction score
I was stuck with the borg pump as I needed it that day. Though today I found the pondmaster for 89.00 at a local nursery. but this one will be the backup and I will get a better one. I had planned on it anyway.

Reaction score
so much for my measurements. I was feeling lousy with a cold and used a 2 gallon container. so the pump was managing 250 gallons and now I have it dialed in for 150 plus the filter is 8.5 gallons. Hey when you feel louse 8 quarts is a gallon right?

Reaction score
I went and ordered one I wanted a non oil pump and I will have one as backup now too.
So I got a fish mate it will save a lot of cleaning hassle and it has enough capacity to do the fountain and get some water moving under water too.

Ask a Question