Skippy type filter, pump, how much is too much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
This question goes out to all the veterans who have tried out many different combinations when it comes to pond filtration.

How much water should I deliver to each filter per hour?

I use two large basins for my bio filters. One is a Rubbermaid 100 gallon container and the other is a generic 100 gallon water trough. My pond is approx. 6000 gallons. I keep some bulk ac filter media in each filter and feed each filter with a separate 5100 gallon per hour pump. Each pump uses a 1.5 inch diameter flexible pipe. I don't use any sophisticated plumbing for the filters I just lay the filter sheets in each one, about 10 to 15 sheets in each filter, and input the water at the bottom of the containers.

My filters collect waste so I know they are working. For the last six months my water hasn't been crystal clear. Not terrible, I can see the fish up to about a half foot deep. I would like to improve the efficiency of the filters and I wonder if I should cut back the water flow to each pump. I am considering using one pump for both filters for a while in essence to reduce the water flow in half. I think I can put a tee in the flexible pipe with some valves to regulate the water flow.

I always thought more was better, but as I view the clear ponds on the forum I see that most ponds don't seem to move so much water. Maybe some of you have some recommendations.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
if you are putting in excess of 5,000 gph through your filters, you are probably flushing most of the waste right through the system and back into your pond. I've had the best results with a flow in the 500 to 1,000 gph range. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Haro and Steve- This is what I am starting to think. I like the sound and look of the water gushing thru the filter outlets but I remember better filtering when I used a 3/4 inch pipe.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Alvarero if you still want the volume of water going over your falls you could always put a T and divert some of the water to the falls and the other one to the filter. You would have to do this for each pump though. If you put a ball valve on one side of each T you could regulate the amount of water going to the filter vs the falls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
One day I hope to have a waterfall. For now I think I will create a fountain with the extra water. It will make the fish harder for me to see. This way the heron won't be able to see the fish either.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well it has been awhile alvarero and maybe your better half will surprise you with one .Go looking around for neighbors that may have rock to get rid of and start saving them .Then all you need is the dirt and a liner .Hope the waterfall fairy visits you .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I went ahead and took out one pump. I put a tee on the remaining pump and now I am feeding both filters from it. I found a parts list for the skippy filter and I went ahead and finished my rubber maid container. I will give it a week or two and see if the water gets clearer. If I doesn't I believe I will I need to divert the water away from the filters some more. I am considering running some lines along the bottom to push the waste toward the submersible pump intake. I will try to take a picture a day to see the change over the next few weeks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We'll be hoping it all works the way you want it to. You can hook up a hose to the pump also and just let it flow into the pond for a small type of falls. I have a hose laying up on a rock pinned in one place w/ a few of those U type stakes that are for holding down landscape fabric and the water just drops down into the pond into my small fines catching basket to collect gunk. You could just let it drop down into the water and the fish love playing in the splashing falls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Here are some pictures of the pond with the improved filter setup. Please note the new addition to our yard. A wild pigeon with no ankle bands has decided to vacation in our backyard for the last few days.

Attachments

• 100_0820.JPG
    100_0820.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 100_0819.JPG
    100_0819.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 855
  • 100_0821.JPG
    100_0821.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 916
  • 100_0834.JPG
    100_0834.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_0833.JPG
    100_0833.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 813
  • 100_0840.JPG
    100_0840.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 693

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice set up, it will clear as your bacteria grows. Get some plants in there if you can, they help a lot in clearing up water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Now that we are going into Fall I can try some more delicate plants that the sun won't burn up.

Reaction score
The best results for bio filters seem to be about a 3 minute hang time. This gives the bacteria enough time to eat and the solids to settle to the bottom. To find out hang time, take the total size of the filter(100gal), divide it by the hang time you want(3 for 3 minutes) to get 33.3gals per minute required. Now to get the gph, times that by 60(60 minutes in an hour), 33.3x60 = aproximatly 2000gph flow rate.

I would use 1 pump and send 1/2 to each filter. I would put back in the 2nd pump for circulation.

You said you wanted to hide the fish some. What I would do is add a Venturi to the 2nd pump and put the output 6-12inches below the water. This will add circulation, cover and even more important...oxygen. You can also add an air pump to the input. This will make tons of bubbles for cover and should also help with the algae too.

Here is a post of a youtube video that does the same thing and send out tons of air. The fish love it.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/7551-this-thing-kicks-out-some-air/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
K- thanks for the suggestions. I would like to use the other pump and not just leave it sitting in the shed. Rob

Ask a Question