Is Rubber Pond Liner Just Roofing

Reaction score
DrDave Is there a reason to decrease the PVC pipe inlet and then expand the outlet from the bio filter?

My pump has a 2" outlet and I was going to run it straight w/2" flex tubing to a 2" bulkhead fitting on the 1st barrel, connect the 2 barrels with a 2" connection, and then run a 2" outlet back to my pond. Is my thinking wrong on these sizes? Do I need to slow down the flow for the biofilters?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I have a single 55 gallon drum system. My outflow goes down a cascading waterfall. DrCase has a 2 barrel system and I suspect the outflow of his goes directley back to the pond. So his may be sealed where mine is open.

In my Bio filter, the inlet is 3/4" fed by an 1150 GPH Beckett pump that has to lift 7'. My outlet at the top of the bio filter which is actually an overflow, is 1 1/2" and I still have to choke down my 3/4" input with a ball valve. Remember, this is not a sealed system and the out flow has the bio material sometimes against the opening, so the larger the better. The water as it travels up through the media needs time to get stripped of the nitrates/nitrites/algae and solid particles that fall into the sump. Too fast and this process may not work as expected.

I have 2 waterfalls, one for the slow bio filter and the other for the white water effect.

You may want to consider diverting some of that 2" line to a water feature.

Reaction score
I believe that the original question in this thread was (Is rubber roofing the same as a pond liner).

First let’s start with EPDM and what is it.

Epdm stands for ethylene propylene diene monomer which is the chemical mix for this type of rubber.

So rubber roofing and a pond liner are the both made of the same material (both EPDM).

And they are both made by the same manufacture, Firestone.

But rubber roofing material commonly used on commercial buildings contains fire retardants and algaecides. These chemicals will harm your fish and plant life.

That said I know of people including me who have used weathered rubber roofing with no ill effects.

But I would never build a new pond with new commercial rubber roofing.

I did not know any better at the time I built my first pond.

But now after a few years of pond experience behind me I would never use it again, new or old.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of the MSDS for EPDM? That, by federal law must have all the harmfull chemicals listed.

Ask a Question