ISO watercress source

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Anyone know of a good website to buy watercress seeds? I’d like to try growing some next spring. Or if someone has some, I don’t know if it is an annual or perineal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I buy watercress in the produce section of the grocery store. Just get a bundle - doesn’t need roots - separate it into individual stems, and poke them between rocks or anchor them under stones. Within a few days they start to grow roots and spread like crazy. Watercress loves moving water, so I put it in my waterfall. It does die back in the cold, but every so often a small bit will survive and start growing again in spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
As @Lisak1 stated, started from bag brought at grocery store. The watercress comes back every year. I have it planted in the stream. Two to three times a year I have to thin them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I buy watercress in the produce section of the grocery store. Just get a bundle - doesn’t need roots - separate it into individual stems, and poke them between rocks or anchor them under stones. Within a few days they start to grow roots and spread like crazy. Watercress loves moving water, so I put it in my waterfall. It does die back in the cold, but every so often a small bit will survive and start growing again in spring.
I haven’t seen it in stores around here in years. Short of driving two hours to the Whole Foods down in the city, I don’t think anywhere else carries it out here. There’s just not a lot of call for it around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We hadn’t seen it for a long time either and then it suddenly started showing up in all the markets. Maybe ask at your local market - they may be willing to get some for you. Pretend you and all your friends are dying to eat it! Or the next time you go to s restaurant check for it on the menu - literally from one tiny sprig you could fill your pond! One year I started mine in a glass of water when it turned too cold to plant it outdoors - in a week it was climbing out of the windowsill!

Ask a Question