Lead poisoning from pellet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I might just be paranoid here, but will my fish get sick from lead if a pellet from a pellet gun fell into my pond? The pellet bounced off a fence and fell into the pond. The fish weren't shot or anything but im just wondering if the pellet will leach lead out into the water now and possibly kill the fish? The pond is almost 3,000 gallons and it was just one 4.5mm pellet so I think its fine...Just wanted to know if anyone has an experience with this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would worry a little about the fish ingesting it .Can you net it out if you can find it because fish can't tell it is not food .Honestly I don't think pellets from a pellet gun are lead .Lead is banned for them that I know of .I looked it up and it says they are mostly made of alloys or synthetics unless stated on the box .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I would worry a little about the fish ingesting it .Can you net it out if you can find it because fish can't tell it is not food .Honestly I don't think pellets from a pellet gun are lead .Lead is banned for them that I know of .I looked it up and it says they are mostly made of alloys or synthetics unless stated on the box .
I cant net it out, it would be to much like finding a needle in a hay stack...and these pellets are lead, I bought them years and years ago when I guess they still made them with lead :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Will a magnet work to get it out .you can adhere it to a long piece of something

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Will a magnet work to get it out .you can adhere it to a long piece of something

A magnet will not work on lead and yes lead pellets are still available for pellet guns.

Because Lead has such a low solubility in water and because the small amount that is leached immediately binds with other organics in the pond, one small pellet should not prove to be enough of a contaminate to create a toxic level in the pond. As for the fish ingesting it, it will pass through the fish relatively intact.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
A magnet will not work on lead and yes lead pellets are still available for pellet guns.

Because Lead has such a low solubility in water and because the small amount that is leached immediately binds with other organics in the pond, one small pellet should not prove to be enough of a contaminate to create a toxic level in the pond. Xompared to the other Heavy Metals lead is one of the least toxic. As for a fish ingesting it, it will pass through the fish relatively intact.
Thanks Meyer!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used lead wire to hold my Anacharis on a shelf in my pond. People have been using lead in aquariums for years with no detrimental affects to their fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
one thing my son has a pellet gun and his takes bigger pellets were yours the smaller ones .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I will have to ask him the size of his but he told me that the ones he has he thinks are the largest sold where he buys his .He may have told me the size but I didn't write it down

Ask a Question