Ivy beneficial for pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wondering if Ivy is of any benefit to the pond. Obviously my main goal right now is to get more plant cover and filtration.

Attachments

• 3000A3E8-B4BD-4CF6-AA06-9FF81E04EE13.jpeg
    3000A3E8-B4BD-4CF6-AA06-9FF81E04EE13.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
It does remove nutrients from the water. Although I don't know whether it is good for fish or not.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It does remove nutrients from the water. Although I don't know whether it is good for fish or not.
I just found this on the internet and it appears that ivy is slightly toxic to humans and pets so I would think it would not be good for fish. Maybe do some research on the subject before you let the leaves or berries into your pond. https://gardeninguru.com/is-ivy-poisonous-to-humans/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’m guessing the ivy is growing beside the pond rather than in it. For filtration and to reduce algae, you might consider growing some plants directly in the pond water. I don’t know what zone you’re in, but I’ve had success with iris, papyrus, taro, butterfly ginger, mint (confined to pots), corkscrew rush, water lilies, and watercress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Careful what you wish for. In the beginning we are usually in a hurry to get some plant growth and while that answer can be an ivy or something else that grows rapidly and is easy to grow and hard to kill. Down the road you may regret it one such plant I added was penny wart . it knows no boundaries

Ask a Question