Just a thought

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Ian and/or Becky; I've just read through a few posts by new members, and am wondering about something. Would it be possible to have the new member's location become a necessary part of the entry form, so that it could be posted along with the avatar? It would save time if we knew what part of the world or country we are talking about before we try to answer some of these questions. :twocents:
John

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When I was more active, I always asked people to do it voluntarily. Apparently it is not being done anymore.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
John, It's a constant battle to get new members to fill in their profiles. Dave really stayed on it for quite a while and many members seemed to get offended. I've been so busy that I don't bother with asking each individual. It would be great if new members would fill in their profiles as it would make it so much easier for others to help. size of the pond would also be a nice requirment as well.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
This is precisely why I thought it would be a good idea to make it mandatory. I'm not computer-litterate by any means, but if our sister garden website can make it mandatory to add your birthdate, it should be possible to add location to the list.
Thanks for your replies, Dr. Dave & Larkin.
John

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This was raised a while back in the mods area by DrDave, but there was a technical limitation at the time + there are quite a large number of people who don't want to reveal too much information about their location, so may put them off registering. So instead, we changed it so that there are lots of encouragements to enter the location (in the welcome e-mail, welcome PM, registration screen, etc...).

As it looks like that's not working as well, I've enabled this as a trial to see how it works and the affect it has on registrations.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks, Ian. Personally, I can't see how having "Florida" or "Birmingham, UK" under your avatar is going to be any great inconvenience.
John

Ask a Question