Just checked in on my fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hope everyone's fishies come through the nasty weather unharmed and healthy. So far, mine are doing good. I have a small pump keeping the hole open, when the hole starts getting smaller, I turn on the heater. I've seen Gracie a few times, she is still in the same spot, the furthest from the heater/hole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Peaked Roof fish house is doing well in spite of weeks of subzero (f) weather with only a few interspersed days above freezing. The two pumps are still running keeping a hole in the ice. It will be a while until the fish house is able to be taken down...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
All this cold weather has really dropped the ground temps this year. Normally by this time my pond is completely thawed and plants are starting to grow, but right now I've got a heavy layer of ice, snow on top of that, and the only opening is the waterfall. I have both heaters running non-stop, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference in the ice. Fortunately our forecast is calling for a sudden jump into the 50's and 60's next week, so everything will finally melt off again. Looks like I'll be buying new hyacinths this year though. I think I only have four plants left alive -- they just didn't do well indoors this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
All this cold weather has really dropped the ground temps this year. Normally by this time my pond is completely thawed and plants are starting to grow, but right now I've got a heavy layer of ice, snow on top of that, and the only opening is the waterfall. I have both heaters running non-stop, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference in the ice. Fortunately our forecast is calling for a sudden jump into the 50's and 60's next week, so everything will finally melt off again. Looks like I'll be buying new hyacinths this year though. I think I only have four plants left alive -- they just didn't do well indoors this year.

It has been a tough year for sure. We just had another 5 inches of snow last night. Same as you I had a lot of thawing already and a bit of clear ground last year. This year no thawing and about 2 plus feet on the entire yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@RobAmy - I just noticed your zone is 5A. We are allegedly 5B, but it seems like you are so much warmer than what we typically experience. Maybe I need to re-check my zone map!

Nevermind... just put my glasses on! 6A! Big difference!

Ask a Question