Just for fun: What would your "dream pond" look like!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know we all do it -- dream of that perfect pond...... Realistically speaking, what would yours be like if you didn't have to worry about cost and/or space?

*When you answer this "survey," please indicate what kind of pond you are talking about: GARDEN ONLY, GOLDFISH, KOI, GOLDFISH & KOI, FISH & GARDEN, DRAGONS, OTHER.......etc. The categories below are just suggestions to get your mind working, and I'm sure I haven't thought of everything, so feel free to add & elaborate!

And please, this is just for fun, so no criticizing others' posts or ideas!

TYPE OF POND_________________*
1) SIZE: DEPTH, DIMENSIONS, GALLONS
2) SHAPE and LAYOUT
3) CONSTRUCTION METHOD / LINER TYPE
4) FILTRATION and associated stuff
5) DECOR
6) WOULD YOU HAVE MULTIPLE PONDS, COMBINATION PONDS [IOW, several separate ponds, multi-leveled ponds, connected ponds, or bogs added]
7) GROUND LEVEL, ABOVE GROUND, or COMBO
8) AMOUNT OF SUN EXPOSURE [IOW, trees, no trees, etc.]
9) PREDATOR CONTROL
10) MULTIPLE SPECIES such as turtles

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think about it all the time! I'd like to have a long pond so it can be like a river. It would be a long and thin U with pools at the ends.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Even as the OP on this thread, I'm going to have to give it some thought before I respond. Hmmmmm....... So many things to think about without going overboard, LOL! :eek:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You know I would not care what it looks like as long as some one else does all the work on it .Building it, maintaining it and giving me clear water healthy fish and pretty plants and no work on my part .Just pure enjoyment :)any one want to volunteer ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Guessing mine would be a combo goldfish/garden pond.

I think I would like several smaller ponds that would pool into a larger one, with small streams & waterfalls [I like moving water]. Shape-wise, probably more oblong than round. I like organic shapes. There would need to be an off-shoot pond or bog that would go through the turtle habitat for my boxies -- can't forget them!

Maybe around 5,000 - 6,000 gallons. Main pond would have a shallow area [like a beach] that would step down to the deepest point, maybe around 4' deep. Since I'm getting older [grrrr!] I think it would be nice to have it be partially above ground so maintenance and viewing would be easier. It would be kinda nice to have a spot or 2 where I could sit & dangle my feet, OR sit in the water & relax! Oh, and what about a viewing window -- that would be cool! I know predators would be a problem, but this is MY dream, not theirs.

I would have it dug & plumbed by someone who knows what he's/she's doing, and would go with a BD and a skimmer, 2 things I don't have now. I would have a bog in there somewhere.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh and also pay the electric bill .That million dollar pond was on a show last year and he said it costs almost 2000 dollars to run a month and that will never go down .They showed that pond on one of those epic shows .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
oh and also pay the electric bill .That million dollar pond was on a show last year and he said it costs almost 2000 dollars to run a month and that will never go down .They showed that pond on one of those epic shows .
I don't think you need a huge pond to be fun. The reason why I want a long U shaped pond is that only a small pump is needed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
solar would help .I see they have those solar rental systems .You rent it from them at a low cost they get the government money and you get the money from your electric company for the buy back .The rental company monitors and maintains the system

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Probably a boring answer, but the pond I have now is pretty much my dream pond. We did a lot of thinking and planning and looking before we started and were lucky enough to be able to do pretty much everything we wanted to do the first time. I wouldn't mind a bigger pond, because that would mean more fish, but we pretty much maxed out our yard space!

Reaction score
I would love to have the property and ponds that Mike in Vermont displayed under his thread in unfortunately he is experience fish deaths. "Problem with one of my trout ponds" I hope the cause can be rooted out for him. Rose

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 73894
I think about it all the time! I'd like to have a long pond so it can be like a river. It would be a long and thin U with pools at the ends.

John,

Close to my home is a stately home with just that. A mile and a half long pond designed to look like a river with a lake at the end. Designed by Capability Brown, it took twelve years to dig, There are numerous bridges over the river, and the lake is a favourite spot to sit and spend a lazy afternoon. It teems with wildlife, lots of frogs, dragonflies and butterflies.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/croome/

Capture.JPG

Regards,
Chris

Ask a Question