Just for fun: What would your "dream pond" look like!

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Mmathis, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

I know we all do it -- dream of that perfect pond...... Realistically speaking, what would yours be like if you didn't have to worry about cost and/or space?

*When you answer this "survey," please indicate what kind of pond you are talking about: GARDEN ONLY, GOLDFISH, KOI, GOLDFISH & KOI, FISH & GARDEN, DRAGONS, OTHER.......etc. The categories below are just suggestions to get your mind working, and I'm sure I haven't thought of everything, so feel free to add & elaborate!

And please, this is just for fun, so no criticizing others' posts or ideas!

TYPE OF POND_________________*
    1) SIZE: DEPTH, DIMENSIONS, GALLONS
    2) SHAPE and LAYOUT
    3) CONSTRUCTION METHOD / LINER TYPE
    4) FILTRATION and associated stuff
    5) DECOR
    6) WOULD YOU HAVE MULTIPLE PONDS, COMBINATION PONDS [IOW, several separate ponds, multi-leveled ponds, connected ponds, or bogs added]
    7) GROUND LEVEL, ABOVE GROUND, or COMBO
    8) AMOUNT OF SUN EXPOSURE [IOW, trees, no trees, etc.]
    9) PREDATOR CONTROL
    10) MULTIPLE SPECIES such as turtles

Mmathis, Jul 31, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Mmathis

JohnHuff Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff

I think about it all the time! I'd like to have a long pond so it can be like a river. It would be a long and thin U with pools at the ends.

JohnHuff, Jul 31, 2014
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Even as the OP on this thread, I'm going to have to give it some thought before I respond. Hmmmmm....... So many things to think about without going overboard, LOL! :eek:

Mmathis, Jul 31, 2014
  4. Mmathis

sissy sissy

You know I would not care what it looks like as long as some one else does all the work on it .Building it, maintaining it and giving me clear water healthy fish and pretty plants and no work on my part .Just pure enjoyment :)any one want to volunteer ;)

sissy, Jul 31, 2014
    Gail, mtpond and Mmathis like this.
  5. Mmathis

RobAmy

Okay this would be mine, I know its not realistic but I just love it. I could not even afford to keep all the pumps running :(

RobAmy, Jul 31, 2014
  6. Mmathis

That's the fun part. I'll be happy to build the filters for you!

JohnHuff, Jul 31, 2014
    sissy likes this.
  7. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Guessing mine would be a combo goldfish/garden pond.

I think I would like several smaller ponds that would pool into a larger one, with small streams & waterfalls [I like moving water]. Shape-wise, probably more oblong than round. I like organic shapes. There would need to be an off-shoot pond or bog that would go through the turtle habitat for my boxies -- can't forget them!

Maybe around 5,000 - 6,000 gallons. Main pond would have a shallow area [like a beach] that would step down to the deepest point, maybe around 4' deep. Since I'm getting older [grrrr!] I think it would be nice to have it be partially above ground so maintenance and viewing would be easier. It would be kinda nice to have a spot or 2 where I could sit & dangle my feet, OR sit in the water & relax! Oh, and what about a viewing window -- that would be cool! I know predators would be a problem, but this is MY dream, not theirs.

I would have it dug & plumbed by someone who knows what he's/she's doing, and would go with a BD and a skimmer, 2 things I don't have now. I would have a bog in there somewhere.

Mmathis, Jul 31, 2014
  8. Mmathis

sissy sissy

oh and also pay the electric bill .That million dollar pond was on a show last year and he said it costs almost 2000 dollars to run a month and that will never go down .They showed that pond on one of those epic shows .

sissy, Aug 1, 2014
  9. Mmathis

I don't think you need a huge pond to be fun. The reason why I want a long U shaped pond is that only a small pump is needed.

JohnHuff, Aug 1, 2014
    Mucky_Waters, sissy and Troutredds like this.
  10. Mmathis

sissy sissy

solar would help .I see they have those solar rental systems .You rent it from them at a low cost they get the government money and you get the money from your electric company for the buy back .The rental company monitors and maintains the system

sissy, Aug 1, 2014
  11. Mmathis

Lisak1

Probably a boring answer, but the pond I have now is pretty much my dream pond. We did a lot of thinking and planning and looking before we started and were lucky enough to be able to do pretty much everything we wanted to do the first time. I wouldn't mind a bigger pond, because that would mean more fish, but we pretty much maxed out our yard space!

Lisak1, Aug 1, 2014
    fishin4cars and Mmathis like this.
  12. Mmathis

R.Rose

I would love to have the property and ponds that Mike in Vermont displayed under his thread in unfortunately he is experience fish deaths. "Problem with one of my trout ponds" I hope the cause can be rooted out for him. Rose

R.Rose, Aug 1, 2014
    Mike in Vermont likes this.
  13. Mmathis

CeeJayH

View attachment 73894

John,

Close to my home is a stately home with just that. A mile and a half long pond designed to look like a river with a lake at the end. Designed by Capability Brown, it took twelve years to dig, There are numerous bridges over the river, and the lake is a favourite spot to sit and spend a lazy afternoon. It teems with wildlife, lots of frogs, dragonflies and butterflies.
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/croome/

Capture.JPG
    Regards,
    Chris

CeeJayH, Aug 1, 2014
  14. Mmathis

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

If I were to build my dream pond, This is probably in the lines of what I would want. Of course if we are going to dream big, have to dream big on what will be going in as well. Z4.jpg Z2.jpg Tancho Showa 1.jpg tancho hi sushui.jpg doitsu showa.jpg goshiki-koi.jpg V18.jpg SSC_0755_743AJKS.JPG SSC_0409_397AJKS.JPG

fishin4cars, Aug 1, 2014
  15. Mmathis

dieselplower

My yard now is totally flat so I want a moat around my entire house, including under a raised driveway so I can put a tube in it and go around it like a lazy river ride. Oh, and strong circular current for big koi. Or maybe instead of a hump in the driveway my garage could be a drawbridge. Lol...

dieselplower, Aug 1, 2014
  16. Mmathis

Nepen

I want a big bog with a stream connecting to the main pond. But I dont know h ow to do it so my dream pond reduce to just a kinda of oval-ish freestyle pond with 1/3 of it is a bog and with 2 small water fall to the pond.

I dont want a big or deep pond, may be 1500 gallon is enough. I thought about many fish but I want to be able to count / know all the fish so I probably want only about 20 beautiful goldfish. Think about koi but I dont want koi and goldfish to mix breed so I wont do koi... lots of plants :)

But actually I love Mucky's pond so I want something that looks like that too :)

Nepen, Aug 1, 2014
    Mucky_Waters likes this.
  17. Mmathis

ZmanArt007 Fish Keeper and Filmmaker

I would have to put more thought into it, But I would want multiple large ponds connected by cliffside streams and waterfalls. There's this Japanese Tea Garden in San Antonio, Texas, that basically inspired me to build a pond in the first place. I would want the sheer size of this pond with the addition of more cliffs and streams, along with perhaps deeper water in places.

Here's some old photos from my first trip there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously it depends on the land my future home is blessed with, but this is essentially my dream pond.

ZmanArt007, Aug 1, 2014
  18. Mmathis

Lisaebetten

Done is my dream!!!! Mine is inches from being done but my life is soooo busy I only get to work on it a few hours a week.

Lisaebetten, Aug 2, 2014
  19. Mmathis

Mucky_Waters

Lots of disadvantages to large ponds, that's for sure. Besides the extra electricity to run the pumps there is generally more upkeep, and that means more work. Although I enjoy most of the work I do around my pond, there are something that are hard and I'd just rather not have to do it, like yanking out all the excess vegetation in the fall.
    Another downside to a larger pond is the bigger it is, the bigger a target it becomes to herons.
    At one time I had three 100 gallon aquariums, and for a while it was fun, but after a while life just got too busy and the choirs of having those aquariums caught up to me and it started to not be fun anymore, and I got anxious to downsize and finally got rid of them and the fish, and it kind of ruined it for me. I haven't had an aquarium since. One thing I like about my pond is it sort of shuts down for the winter and there is nothing really to do, so I get a nice little break and actually start to miss it. By the time spring comes I'm ready to get into it all over again.

However Turtlemommy said " if you didn't have to worry about cost and/or space?"., so I guess that being the case I go for a huge indoor pond with glass walls and trees and birds, and flying squirrels, and monkeys, and a full time staff to take care of it all. Heck!, why not just move into Biosphere 2 ? It already has some nice ponds in there. :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Mucky_Waters, Aug 8, 2014
    Mmathis, sissy and Nepen like this.
  20. Mmathis

Alrighty then. I would like a lazy river like pond all around the house and have it come in and under the floors of some of the ground floor rooms. Of course I would have a full time aquarist living on my grounds taking care of this full time.

There would be a guest house where members of GPF can visit me on a rotating basis where they treated with buffet style meals all around the clock, waited on by a guest staff.

On good days, we would have a guided tour of my grounds, maybe take in 9 holes on my small private links or a lazy day down at my small private beach.

During the evenings we would take in a show in the city or fly down to Hollywood to hobnob with the stars of your choice. Once a season we'd charter a private 747 and have an all expenses paid tour of various cities of Europe and/or Asia.

At the end of the visit, you can take home the choice of a brand new vehicle or boat as a momento of your visit. You guys can sign up right here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    JohnHuff, Aug 8, 2014
    Mmathis, Nepen and Mucky_Waters like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question