Is fish fungus contagious?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
About a week ago i lost one of my fish to a fungus, i removed the fish as soon as i could into a seperate hospital tank but unfortunately he didnt didnt survive.

Skip forward a week and one of my tench that i almost never see came near the surface i noticed the same cotton like growths on him ( he is now in ER in the house)

My main questions are the fungus growths contagious and is there anything specific that causes it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Stress, injury or poor water quality will contribute to fish getting fungal growth.
If you've tested your water, post the results please.
Also post your pond setup, stocking levels and maintenance routine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Stress, injury or poor water quality will contribute to fish getting fungal growth.
If you've tested your water, post the results please.
Also post your pond setup, stocking levels and maintenance routine.

The two fish that have been ill were pinned down by a frog the last few weeks, could the fish have causes a cut and also stress?

Dont have any results as left my kit when moving house and havent got round to purchasing a new one.

Pond is around 700 gallons with (i think) around a 1200 gallon/hour pump to a DIY filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with @MitchM on all his points , the first thing to do is to buy a new pond master test kit by API then test your water parameter's first to be on the safe side.
It wont hurt to do a water change provided you trickle the water back in to avoid the pond loosing temperature , by trickling the water back in at a slow rate the ambient temperature of the pond doing the rest , if done correctly you should only lose .2-.3 of a degree.
Is this a new pond to you having left your test kit when you moved from your old address?
If so when was it last cleaned of detritus dead leaves etc on the pond bottom , also do you know the last time your filter was cleaned all this should have been done in late autumn of 2017to get your fish safely through the winter .
Frogs are more in danger of suffercating your fish than damaging them but I agree it would cause them a great deal of stress .
You say your pond is 700 gallons imperial currently could you tell me how many fish you have in the pond and what are they and if they are koi please tell me what size nose to tail
The fungus will find and exploit any little gap in your fishes armour so yes it will spread if not treated .
You will need an anti fungal remedy from your local fish shop or garden centre to treat the rest of the fish with in situ

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Theres 6 goldfish and 2 tench in there currently and no koi.

Yes i moved house at the start of september and cleaned all the pond and filters before moving the fish into the pond, the leaves do need clearing again as i havent done since late december so maybe that isn't helping?

And will i need to treat the whole pond with treatment to be on the safe side?

Many thanks for your replies.

Ask a Question