Just for fun: What would your "dream pond" look like!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I want a big bog with a stream connecting to the main pond. But I dont know h ow to do it so my dream pond reduce to just a kinda of oval-ish freestyle pond with 1/3 of it is a bog and with 2 small water fall to the pond.

I dont want a big or deep pond, may be 1500 gallon is enough. I thought about many fish but I want to be able to count / know all the fish so I probably want only about 20 beautiful goldfish. Think about koi but I dont want koi and goldfish to mix breed so I wont do koi... lots of plants :)

But actually I love Mucky's pond so I want something that looks like that too :)

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would have to put more thought into it, But I would want multiple large ponds connected by cliffside streams and waterfalls. There's this Japanese Tea Garden in San Antonio, Texas, that basically inspired me to build a pond in the first place. I would want the sheer size of this pond with the addition of more cliffs and streams, along with perhaps deeper water in places.

Here's some old photos from my first trip there.

Obviously it depends on the land my future home is blessed with, but this is essentially my dream pond.

Reaction score
Done is my dream!!!! Mine is inches from being done but my life is soooo busy I only get to work on it a few hours a week.

Reaction score
I don't think you need a huge pond to be fun. The reason why I want a long U shaped pond is that only a small pump is needed.
Lots of disadvantages to large ponds, that's for sure. Besides the extra electricity to run the pumps there is generally more upkeep, and that means more work. Although I enjoy most of the work I do around my pond, there are something that are hard and I'd just rather not have to do it, like yanking out all the excess vegetation in the fall.
Another downside to a larger pond is the bigger it is, the bigger a target it becomes to herons.
At one time I had three 100 gallon aquariums, and for a while it was fun, but after a while life just got too busy and the choirs of having those aquariums caught up to me and it started to not be fun anymore, and I got anxious to downsize and finally got rid of them and the fish, and it kind of ruined it for me. I haven't had an aquarium since. One thing I like about my pond is it sort of shuts down for the winter and there is nothing really to do, so I get a nice little break and actually start to miss it. By the time spring comes I'm ready to get into it all over again.

However Turtlemommy said " if you didn't have to worry about cost and/or space?"., so I guess that being the case I go for a huge indoor pond with glass walls and trees and birds, and flying squirrels, and monkeys, and a full time staff to take care of it all. Heck!, why not just move into Biosphere 2 ? It already has some nice ponds in there. :D

Last edited:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
However Turtlemommy said " if you didn't have to worry about cost and/or space?".
Alrighty then. I would like a lazy river like pond all around the house and have it come in and under the floors of some of the ground floor rooms. Of course I would have a full time aquarist living on my grounds taking care of this full time.

There would be a guest house where members of GPF can visit me on a rotating basis where they treated with buffet style meals all around the clock, waited on by a guest staff.

On good days, we would have a guided tour of my grounds, maybe take in 9 holes on my small private links or a lazy day down at my small private beach.

During the evenings we would take in a show in the city or fly down to Hollywood to hobnob with the stars of your choice. Once a season we'd charter a private 747 and have an all expenses paid tour of various cities of Europe and/or Asia.

At the end of the visit, you can take home the choice of a brand new vehicle or boat as a momento of your visit. You guys can sign up right here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alrighty then. I would like a lazy river like pond all around the house and have it come in and under the floors of some of the ground floor rooms. Of course I would have a full time aquarist living on my grounds taking care of this full time.

There would be a guest house where members of GPF can visit me on a rotating basis where they treated with buffet style meals all around the clock, waited on by a guest staff.

On good days, we would have a guided tour of my grounds, maybe take in 9 holes on my small private links or a lazy day down at my small private beach.

During the evenings we would take in a show in the city or fly down to Hollywood to hobnob with the stars of your choice. Once a season we'd charter a private 747 and have an all expenses paid tour of various cities of Europe and/or Asia.

At the end of the visit, you can take home the choice of a brand new vehicle or boat as a momento of your visit. You guys can sign up right here.
I call first dibs.
Put my name first on that guest list John, and I'll take a 2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport to go, with a tow package and a sailboat on a trailer.
Thanks

Actually you are thinking too small John, if I had my wish I would like my pond to cover the entire Earth, and wipe out all wars, pollution and all the bad people, and only me, my family and a few good people along with 2 of every kind of animal would survive on a big boat until the pond water subsided and we could come to rest on a tall mountain and begin re-inhabiting the Earth.
For some reason this is starting to sound familiar, did somebody make this wish before?

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I too have dreamed of a large pond with an integrated moat and an island in the center of the pond with a gazebo and it be accessible by boat. The only pumps would be floating aerating fountains. I may also throw in some air diffusers.

IMG_20140812_115245.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true about the bigger the pond the more work and cost .That is why I would prefer someone to take care of it and pay for it and i just have to enjoy it

Reaction score
My dream pond would be about double the size of my current pond, only koi, have a bottom drain, be deeper, have more areas of vegetation and possibly a bog area....I have plans in my head, and I've got some idea of how to do it, just need the manpower and the $$ to do it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Okay this would be mine, I know its not realistic but I just love it. I could not even afford to keep all the pumps running :(

That is great!!! But I can go just a few minutes from my house and see it naturally. I live in the Ozark mountains in Arkansas. There is a good reason this is the natural state.

Ask a Question