Keeping out the rif-raf

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
What I do for deer is to make a pepper spray, and hose down the plants I want to protect with it. I haven't needed to do anything else at all. It's incredibly effective, and they take the hint instantly.

To make the spray, I'll start with a good handful of crushed red pepper, and sometimes chopped up ghost / scorpion peppers from my garden (not truly needed as the red pepper is more than enough, but those will make more spray per pepper).

The pepper gets soaked in a jar of rubbing alcohol for a day or ten, shaken a few times, and then strained. I'll then take some soapy water (with dish soap) and rinse the peppers again, and mix in the alcohol. Most of the liquid at this point is soapy water, since alcohol is probably not great for plants if it's too concentrated.

This concoction goes into a garden sprayer, which I use on my ivy and whatever else they're bothering.

Obviously you don't want to be downwind of the spray when using it.. And it's better to have it come out like a stream than a fine mist!

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey sounds good and all natural too! Does the alcohol seem to hurt the plants any? Um, I've got Juniper's and they're pretty tough so probably no worries.

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Also, by the time it's all mixed up, it's probably more like 20% or less, instead of 91. At that point, the dish soap is what's holding the capsaicin in suspension. The alcohol is just a quick way to separate the spicy stuff from the peppers.

Ask a Question