Keeping the dog out?

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Tried to search this question but no worky.

Now that warm weather is here, our English Pointer really wants to swim in our little pond. Problem is, all the plants and other delicate features get thrashed. I don’t want a big fence around it. Any ideas?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Invisible fence, makes a remote that is disguised as a rock.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Other than training him not to go in, no. It's awfully tempting! But a dog can do a lot of damage in a pond, including tear your liner. I'd maybe get him his own kiddie pool to swim in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It may be unsightly for a while, but putting a temporary electric pet fence (like a cattle fence only much milder) around the perimeter until your pup realizes that's a "bad" place may work and as Lisak1 has suggested provide him with his own kiddie pool.
That's a pretty pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You could build him his own pond....
dogfish 03.jpg

OK, I'm kidding, and I do understand your pond is way too small for a dog to be wallowing around in! You might have to put up a short fence as a temporary barrier & work on getting him to use a kiddie pool of his own. A short (12") high plastic stock tank also makes a wonderful & very sturdy dog pool (available from places like Tractor Supply) Never allow him out in the yard unsupervised & then simply redirect him to the pool of his own. In the beginning, you can also provide treats or toys for him to enjoy & interact with while paddling to make 'his' pond more attractive than yours. Once he's only using his pool/pond and not paying any attention to yours, the temporary fence could be removed & *constant* supervision shouldn't be necessary (although you'll want to continue to monitor him & provide additional reinforcement for his making the good choice to swim in the correct one)

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Yes, I am concerned about the liner too. The dog is a rascal. I have been able to train him to be a pretty good dog but as soon as he knows we aren’t looking he is on the couch, in the trash, stealing food off the counter.

He is somewhat immune to electric fences, he has been shocked while diving under cattle fences. Yelped but just kept running.

I think my wife (and more importantly mother in law) would be opposed to a plastic kiddie pool, but maybe I could arrange something more attractive. A galvanized stock tank doesn’t sound too bad if we could dress it up a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My plan is to fence my dogs with a small shallow section of pond available for them to wallow in. I’ve got one dog that seems to be part duck, keeping him and his skunk loving stink out of my pond is a major thought for me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There are those colored wire stab in the ground fences that come in various heights.
Think sold at Lowes, H-depot, or Walmart etc.

Reaction score
I was going to say electric, I only have 2 wires around mine, the dogs stay a few feet away at all time. I haven't had it turned on for over a year. There is a fabric type electric fence about 3 or 4 ' tall if you need to go that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Invisible fence. My daughter has the "Dog Watch" brand around her house for her high energy Lab. That dog loves the freedom of running all over that acre of land and she's not able to run out into the street. She's the crazy queen of her lair, chasing everything from skunks to black bears off her land.
There's a wire buried in the ground connected to a control box in the house. You can add the in-ground wire around your pond to create another zone.
The dog has a collar that has an audible warning at first. If she continues to get closer the collar shocks her. After a while, the dog should know it's boundaries and probably won't need the collar anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Livestock shock fence works for me. I set it up when relatives come for the weekend with their dogs. They only get zapped once and they stay well away.

Ask a Question