kitty litter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I just bought some plants for around my pond...I don't have much in the way of shelves so I thought I would make pockets from screening (Sissy's idea) My question is the media that I will fill the pockets with...I know you can use kitty litter but I can't seem to find any without additives of some kind. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've found it at Walmart (just buy the non-clumping, cheap, 100% clay stuff) You can also use pea gravel for most plants, if you don't want to invest in the expensive 'aquatic planting medium' stuff (which, I will admit, I love because of its size & texture)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've found it at dollar stores, Walmart or even sometimes my local grocery store will get in a shipment - they'll just plop a pallet of it down in the end of the aisle. I'm not sure why that is, but I always grab a few bags when I see it. Super cheap and I like using it in the pond instead of any kind of dirt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've found it at Walmart (just buy the non-clumping, cheap, 100% clay stuff) You can also use pea gravel for most plants, if you don't want to invest in the expensive 'aquatic planting medium' stuff (which, I will admit, I love because of its size & texture)
I bought a bag of API aquatic planting medium for my lilies. I thought I rinsed it well but my pond is now super cloudy. I am trying a new one and will use the kitty litter as back up if I run out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I bought a bag of API aquatic planting medium for my lilies. I thought I rinsed it well but my pond is now super cloudy. I am trying a new one and will use the kitty litter as back up if I run out.
Hmmm.... I've never had it actually cloud up the water. Maybe a 'poof' of dust when the pot is first put in if I don't soak the medium thoroughly beforehand, but nothing that lasts. I've had more 'poofing' of dust using kitty litter that wasn't fully soaked, actually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hmmm.... I've never had it actually cloud up the water. Maybe a 'poof' of dust when the pot is first put in if I don't soak the medium thoroughly beforehand, but nothing that lasts. I've had more 'poofing' of dust using kitty litter that wasn't fully soaked, actually.
I don’t know what is going on in my pond then. Water looks like diluted mud.

Ask a Question