Koi acting strange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to this whole forum thing but I’m looking for some advice to save my koi!

Set-up - I have a 2400L pond (7x4x3ft) with a mix of goldfish koi and a tench. 1500l/ph pump and oxygenators running constantly

My koi which I inherited from my grandad (around 15 years old) has been acting strange recently after being fine for a month - eating well and regaining bright colours. But all of a sudden has stopped eating complete over the last 4 days and hung around at the bottom of the pond, no other fish seems to be affected. My ammonia levels are slightly higher than they should be but I don’t think this is the problem, I have a hunch that it may be the start of some sort of swim bladder problem as he has some irregular movements and can be seen gulping air frequently.

Any advice/cures would be appreciated as I don’t want to lose this fish!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello chip.gif
@Klowe2104
I think you have too many fish for that size pond. Start digging
diggingahole.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I’ve got 2 koi (one is no bigger than 4 inches) 2 goldies 1 tench
I thought the koi were 15 yrs old? Or is that my mistake? If they are very small then you are ok for now but the koi will grow really big eventually if they are really koi. Do they have barbel whiskers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the koi were 15 yrs old? Or is that my mistake? If they are very small then you are ok for now but the koi will grow really big eventually if they are really koi. Do they have barbel whiskers?
Yeah you are right, one is 15 years old, he’s about a foot long now and the other is a about 5-6 months. I’m not planning on getting any more fish for the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A foot long for a 15 year old koi is very, very stunted. Are you sure it's not a goldfish? That would be about the right size for one at that age.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your pond volume is 630 gallons using a pond calculator volume guide. That is about the right size for just one koi and no more fish.
Here is a site that lets you know home many koi can go into a pond:https://nextdaykoi.com/koi-how-tos/calculating-pond-water-volume/
A foot long for a 15 year old koi is very, very stunted. Are you sure it's not a goldfish? That would be about the right size for one at that age.
hi gents,

I appreciate the feedback which I will take on board, on closer look (tape measure) he is about 18 inches long which is still stunted probably but he wasn’t in my possession until a month ago.

I would just like to get back to the point of this discussion if possible please.

Cheers

Ask a Question